No. 9 Annapolis rolls to 73-62 win behind Day's 24

February 05, 1994|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,Contributing Writer

Annapolis forward Lewis Day had quite a night yesterday, much to the chagrin of the host Old Mill boys basketball team.

Day, a 6-foot-2 senior, hit seven three-pointers, including three in the closing minutes of the first half, and finished with a game-high 24 points as the No. 9 Panthers defeated unranked Old Mill, 73-62, in an Anne Arundel County 4A League matchup in Millersville.

Annapolis coach John Brady wasn't surprised at how well Day performed, but he was shocked to see Day in uniform.

"He sprained his ankle earlier in the week, and as of this morning, we didn't think he was going to play," said Brady. "I've seen some good shooters, and he ranks right up there with them. He's unconscious from the three-point line out. That was not an unusual display tonight. It was typical."

Both teams were turnover-happy in the first half as they combined for 19 giveaways before the half.

The Patriots (9-6) went ahead 8-4 early in the first quarter on a basket by Dee Ballard but lost the handle several times in the closing minutes of the quarter, enabling the cold-shooting Panthers to stay within 11-10.

Day tied the score at 14 on a fadeaway jumper and gave Annapolis its first lead of the game, 21-19, when he hit his first three-pointer with 4:05 left in the half.

Old Mill went ahead by four after two free throws by Ballard and layups by Matt Tilley and Adrian Johnson before things started ++ going sour. The Panthers (13-2, 9-1), whose only 4A League loss came against Glen Burnie got Day's second three-pointer and took a two-point lead on another three by Teshawn Cooper.

Old Mill appeared rushed in the waning moments as it gave the ball away with a series of bad passes. Annapolis took advantage and passed to Day, who added two more three-pointers in the final 30 seconds, including one from baseline at the buzzer that gave the Panthers a 35-27 halftime lead.

"He banged that three-pointer right before the half to give them an eight-point lead and that was basically the margin the entire second half," said Old Mill assistant coach Jim Griffiths. "We just could never get over that hump. We told the team afterward that we played 30 minutes and we needed to play 32."

Annapolis bumped the margin to 12 after two Old Mill turnovers that resulted in easy baskets for Rico Lee (eight points) and Kelsey Watkins.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.