Etta M. VogtsTaught blind childrenEtta M. Vogts, a former...

February 01, 1994

Etta M. Vogts

Taught blind children

Etta M. Vogts, a former teacher at the Maryland School for the Blind, died Jan. 22 of respiratory failure at the Carol Woods Retirement Center in Durham, N.C., where she had lived since 1979. The former Rosemont Avenue resident was 95.

She retired from the school for the blind in 1970 after a 17-year career as a music teacher in the lower school. The former Etta Miles also taught there from 1920 to 1922, before marrying Elmer A. Vogts, a piano and violin teacher at the school.

"Here was this young woman from New England with her straw hat and bag being met at the end of the No. 15 streetcar line in Overlea by a man who had been sent by the school. He was to meet the trolley and take her to the school," said Virginia M. bTC Johnston, a daughter who lives in Durham.

"My father, who was blind, had been a student there as a young man and was now teaching there. They later fell in love and got married.

"They used to concertize up and down the East Coast until he died in 1953," she said.

After her husband's death, Mrs. Vogts returned to teaching.

Luther Mitchell of Towson, who was a student and teacher at the school from 1922 to 1973, said, "She was very active with the children and was really concerned about those kids."

Mrs. Vogts was a member of the Overlea Methodist Church for 35 years. She taught Sunday school and played the piano there until she moved to North Carolina.

She was born in Rutland, Mass., and was a graduate of Northampton High School. She continued her education at the New England Conservatory of Music, earning a bachelor's degree in 1920.

She enjoyed feeding and watching birds, and tending her flower garden.

A memorial service will be held this spring; no date has been set.

Her survivors include another daughter, Shirley L. Dobihal of Hamden, Conn.; seven grandchildren; and 14 great-grandchildren.

Memorial donations may be made to the Maryland School for the Blind, 3501 Taylor Ave., Baltimore, Md. 21236, or to Overlea Methodist Church, 3902 Overlea Ave., Baltimore, Md. 21206.

Terry Lee Clark

EPA meteorologist

Terry Lee Clark, a Baltimore native who worked for the U.S. Department of Commerce, died Jan. 28 of pneumonia at his home in Raleigh, N.C. He was 43.

Mr. Clark was assigned by the department as a research meteorologist at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in Research Triangle Park, N.C. He was responsible for conducting scientific research and developed and applied computer models to study the depositing of acidic and toxic pollutants in the atmosphere.

He grew up in Middle River and was a 1968 graduate of Kenwood High School. He earned bachelor's and master's degrees in meteorology at Texas A&M University and was given the College of Geosciences Faculty Achievement Award in 1973 in recognition of his outstanding scholarship and leadership.

He is survived by his parents, Herbert and Jennie Clark, and a brother, Douglas, all of Baltimore.

A memorial service was set for 7 p.m. today at the Mitchell Funeral Home Chapel in Raleigh.

Kate Burris

Kennedyville resident

Kate Faison Southerland Burris, who was active in several Kent County historical organizations, died Friday of pneumonia at a domiciliary care facility there. She was 94.

The Kennedyville resident was a member of the Kent County chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, the Historical Society of Kent County and the United Daughters of the Confederacy. She also was active in the Children's Aid Society and the county chapter of the American Red Cross.

She was born in Fayetteville, N.C., and attended public schools and the Flora MacDonald School in Red Springs, N.C.

She was in charge of scheduling commercials for a family-owned radio station in Fayetteville and then became assistant clerk of the court for Cumberland County, N.C., until 1946.

She moved to Maryland in 1949 and married J. Lewin Burris in 1950. He died in 1970.

Services were set for 11 a.m. today at Christ Church I.U. in Worton.

She is survived by her stepdaughter, Anne E. Burris of Kennedyville.

Memorial donations may be made to the American Heart Association or the Kent and Queen Anne's Rescue Squad.

William R. Morrissey


William R. Morrissey, a police reporter for The Sun and later The Evening Sun described by colleagues as "a lean, tough, nervy reporter" who could "charm a story out of a brick wall," died Sunday of cardiac arrest at Johns Hopkins Hospital. The Baltimore resident was 64.

"He was a real character," recalled William B. Talbott, who as a police reporter for The Evening Sun worked with Mr. Morrissey at the old police headquarters building at Fayette Street and the Fallsway.

"He was a free spirit and full of life. I don't recall exactly what happened, but one time he hopped up onto a desktop and began dancing," Mr. Talbott, now a police reporter for The Sun in Carroll County, recalled with a laugh. "He was a good reporter, a digger. He'd go out and really look for information when he was working a story."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.