Brown defends title on majority decision

January 30, 1994|By Phil Berger | Phil Berger,Contributing Writer

LAS VEGAS -- Simon Brown outgunned Troy Waters to win a 12-round majority decision in his first defense of the World Boxing Council super welterweight title at the MGM Grand Hotel last night.

Judges Jerry Roth (116-112) and Vince Delgado (118-111) voted for Brown, 30, of Mount Airy, Md. The other judge, Dae Eun Chung, called the bout a 114-114 draw.

It was not an easy night's work for Brown. The 28-year-old challenger, who is from Sydney, Australia, was a willing aggressor, moving forward with his gloves held high, looking to mix it up.

Brown obliged him. The fighters traded crisp combinations throughout the bout, rousing the crowd with their action. But Brown's rapid-fire flurries swayed the judges in the end.

The best round of the fight was the sixth, when the two fighters went toe-to-toe to trade blows. The best punch of the exchange was Waters' right to the head that staggered Brown near the end of the round.

"He was tougher than I thought he'd be," said Brown. "But I was the busier fighter."

Brown was taken to Valley Hospital after the fight to have a cut stitched.

Later on the card, Julio Cesar Chavez was scheduled to defend his WBC super lightweight title against Frankie Randall.

The pay-per-view card will be replayed on the cable network Showtime on Friday at 9:50 p.m.

Last night's fight was Brown's first title defense as super welterweight champion -- a crown he won from Terry Norris in a shocking fourth-round knockout Dec. 18 in Puebla, Mexico. Previously, Brown was the IBF and WBC welterweight champion.

The victory over Norris came at a time when most boxing people regarded Brown as a washed-up fighter. His troubles started in September 1992, when he dropped out of a match with Norris, complaining of dizziness. At the time, Norris wondered aloud whether it was fear that had prompted Brown's withdrawal.

The Norris-Brown match was postponed for a second time. Brown had surgery for a detached retina and then looked very ordinary in three tuneup matches. The sequence of events created the impression that he was looking to Norris for a final big payday in a fight that would be an easy win for Norris. But with his complete domination of Norris, Brown re-emerged as a force in boxing.

Last night, Brown earned $500,000 for fighting Waters. Waters earned $75,000.

With his victory, Brown's record goes to 41-2 with 30 knockouts. Waters is 21-4 with 15 knockouts.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.