Board work lifts Raiders to 72-58 win

January 30, 1994|By Chuck Acquisto | Chuck Acquisto,Contributing Writer

In yesterday's 72-58 win over host Hammond, county-leading Atholton's Tyrone Allmond, Tony Stewart and D. J. Chiles showed no signs of rustiness after not having played a game in more than two weeks.

Atholton (8-2, 4-0) watched a 12-point third-quarter lead evaporate with Hammond's 11-2 run to close out the quarter tied at 47-47, but bounced back in the fourth quarter by re-establishing its rebounding dominance to outscore the Golden Bears, 25-11.

"The last couple games against Hammond we've lost because they did a much better job on the boards, but we really got after it today," said Atholton coach Jim Albert. "I thought with the long layoff there might be basketballs flying all over the place, but it was a pretty well-played game with the exception of the third quarter."

Chiles, who had 17 first-half points and seven rebounds to help Atholton to a 37-16 lead at intermission, led the offensive attack with 29 points and 13 rebounds.

Allmond contributed 15 points and five assists, and Stewart added 14 points.

Hammond junior forward Davon Moutoute led the Golden Bears (4-7, 2-2) with 25 points.

"It was really hard out there with the long layoff and I didn't feel in shape, even though we had hard practices," said Chiles. "But I think we're starting to realize just how good we can be."

Atholton never trailed thanks to the work of Stewart (13 rebounds, four assists, three blocks, two steals).

"We had to step it up today in the fourth quarter," said Stewart. "Coach [Albert] told me and D. J. to take over because we know we can handle it."

Although Stewart quickly set the tone for Atholton with an assist off his own steal, it was Allmond's offensive penetration and ability to handle the Golden Bears' defensive pressure that allowed the Raiders to break out to a quick 11-3 lead.

Stewart and Chiles gave poor-shooting Hammond (11 for 29 in first half) a second-quarter preview by closing out the first quarter with emphasis. After Stewart's high-flying dunk made it 21-12 with 47 seconds left, Chiles grabbed an offensive rebound to score a layup for a 23-14 advantage.

Atholton totaled 12 points on offensive rebounds in the final 10 minutes of the first half.

"We couldn't get the rebound today in large part because they did a great job on the boards all day," said Hammond assistant coach Dana Beszczynski.

Hammond slipped farther behind to open the third quarter, as Stewart assisted Chiles' basket off another steal. Chiles, who was fouled on the play, made the free throw to give the Raiders a 42-30 cushion.

The Golden Bears' duo of Moutoute and sophomore point guard Irving Conwell (12 points, four steals) ganged up on Atholton for a 14-4 run to finish the third quarter tied.

"I think we got tired when we made our run. It was like trying to climb that hill all day and we just couldn't get over the top," Beszczynski said.

Stewart's two free throws to open the fourth quarter broke the deadlock and a Chiles' layup pushed Atholton's edge to 51-47. Hammond pulled within two on a jumper by Spruill, but could get no closer as the Raiders rattled off an 11-2 burst to take control.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.