Calvert Hall stops Mount St. Joe, 52-48

January 29, 1994|By Jeff Seidel | Jeff Seidel,Contributing Writer

Calvert Hall staggered Mount St. Joseph several times last night. But the Cardinals' clutch free-throw shooting provided the knockout punch.

After missing seven of its first 10 from the line, No. 20 Calvert Hall bounced back to hit five of eight in the final 1:25 to wrap up a 52-48 victory over host Mount St. Joseph in a Catholic League game.

Calvert Hall (12-6, 4-1) led nearly the entire game, but could not put Mount St. Joseph (7-11, 1-4) away. The Cardinals held an eight-point lead with 59 seconds left after Tavar Witherspoon (10 points) hit two free throws. With 1:25 left, Vince Williams made a free throw.

Kenny Krabitz sliced the Calvert Hall lead to 50-48 with a four-point play with 27 seconds left. Krabitz hit a leaning three-pointer and added a free throw.

Casey Goodman then stole the Calvert Hall inbounds pass, but missed a jumper and a chance to tie with 21 seconds left. The Gaels had one more chance to tie with eight seconds left, but turned the ball over.

Vince Williams iced the victory by hitting both ends of a one-and-one with five seconds left.

"That's part of the game," said Calvert Hall coach Mark Amatucci. "You've got to make your free throws to have success."

Mount St. Joseph found that out the hard way. The Gaels missed their first six free throws in the fourth quarter and wound up hitting only five of 12 from the line.

"That was the difference in the game -- conversion from the free-throw line," said Mount St. Joe coach Pat Clatchey. "They hit theirs and we didn't hit ours."

Calvert Hall, whose eight-game winning streak was ended by No. 6 Cardinal Gibbons on Wednesday, got strong efforts again from JohnMcKay and Brian Taylor.

McKay (16 points) gave the Cardinals outside punch. He made four three-pointers, three in the first quarter as Calvert Hall rallied from an early five-point hole.

Taylor (18 points) helped Calvert Hall inside. He made two key baskets in the fourth quarter, helping give the Cardinals leads of up to nine points. Still, Calvert Hall could not put the Gaels away.

"That's a big thing," said Taylor. "We've got to stay [focused] throughout the game."

Calvert Hall started slowly, falling behind, 5-0, at the start. The Cardinals rallied to score 19 of the next 23 points for a 19-9 lead early in the second quarter.

Mount St. Joe came back to cut the lead to 25-18 at halftime. The Gaels had to overcome some sluggishness on offense in the first half.

"We just keep coming up a little bit short," said Clatchey, whose team has lost four Catholic League games by a total of nine points.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.