Winifred M. HarrisRetired genealogistWinifred Mitchell...

January 29, 1994

Winifred M. Harris

Retired genealogist

Winifred Mitchell Harris, a retired genealogist, died Wednesday at a hospital in Winter Park, Fla., of complications of diabetes. She was 98 and had lived in Orlando, Fla., since 1972.

She retired about a year ago after doing genealogical work for many years.

She was born Winifred Mitchell in Bristol in southern Anne Arundel County and graduated from Annapolis High School and what is now Towson State University.

In 1917, she married Norris Harris. They made their home in Baltimore. Mr. Harris, who taught at City College and later helped his wife with her genealogy work, died in 1966.

After her husband's death, she lived in Glen Burnie and Orlando until moving full time to Orlando.

She traveled extensively, visiting libraries and historical societies.

Mrs. Harris was a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution, the United Daughters of the Confederacy, the Daughters of 1812, the National Society of Magna Carta Dames, the Daughters of the American Colonists, the Sons and Daughters of the Pilgrims, the Daughters of Colonial Wars and the Colonial Dames of the XVII Century.

She also belonged to the Central Florida Genealogical and Historical Society and the Maryland Historical Society.

At the Maryland Historical Society, she financed, in memory of her husband, a restoration of the United Daughters of the Confederacy Room, a church register file and an annual prize for the best new genealogical research material of the year.

She wrote for the Maryland and Delaware Genealogist and had been named to the Maryland Genealogical Society Hall of Fame.

A memorial service was planned for 1 p.m. today at the Baldwin-Fairchild Funeral Home in Orlando.

She is survived by a sister, Ida M. Feddon of Orlando; six nieces; and four nephews.

Margaret A. Evering

Nursing director

Margaret A. Evering, retired assistant nursing director at the Johns Hopkins Hospital, died Jan. 12 at the University of Maryland Medical Center after a blood vessel burst. She was 73.

In 1992, she moved from the Rossville area, where she had been born, to Broadmead retirement community in Cockeysville.

She retired in 1980 as assistant director of nursing in charge of the general operating rooms at Hopkins, a post she had held since 1971. She had been a supervisor in the general operating rooms since 1954.

Louise Cavagnaro, a retired Hopkins assistant vice president, described her as "a loyal and dedicated person who started early and stayed late to make sure things were at their best for the surgeons."

Miss Evering was a secretary for several years after graduating from the Institute of Notre Dame. She graduated from Johns Hopkins Hospital School of Nursing and earned a bachelor's degree in a program at Hopkins' Homewood campus.

From 1947 until 1952, she was an operating room nurse at Hopkins, and then worked at Colorado General Hospital in Denver. She returned to Maryland after the death of her father and worked in the cardiac operating rooms of the National Institutes of Health Clinical Center in Bethesda until she returned to Hopkins as a supervisor.

She was a volunteer for 12 years at the National Aquarium.

A memorial Mass will be offered at 10:30 a.m. today at St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, 101 Church Lane, Texas.

She is survived by a brother, Christian F. Evering of Rosedale; and 15 nieces and nephews.

Memorial donations may be made to Our Daily Bread, 19 W. Franklin St., Cockeysville 21030, or the Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing, 1830 E. Monument St., Baltimore 21205.

Elizabeth M. Hooe

Retired state employee

Elizabeth M. Hooe, a retired state employee who lived for many years in Lansdowne, died Wednesday of heart failure at her home on Catawba Road. She was 78.

She retired in 1990 after doing clerical work for the Department of Assessments and Taxation for 16 years.

She was born Elizabeth M. Drayer in Baltimore and reared in Catonsville. She was a 1933 graduate of the Institute of Notre Dame. In 1942, she married Howson E. Hooe, who operated a dairy and truck farm in Lansdowne before his death in 1958.

She sang in the choir at the Roman Catholic Basilica of the Assumption in her youth and for 52 years was a member of St. Clement's Church, Second and Washington avenues in Lansdowne, where a Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 9 a.m. today.

Survivors include three daughters, Mary T. Bray of Camp Springs, Elizabeth A. Hooe of San Antonio and Jean M. Hooe of Lansdowne; four sons, John H. Hooe of Ferndale and Robert E., Daniel H. and James L. Hooe, all of Lansdowne; 10 grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.