Soyars ices Arundel win, 75-69

January 27, 1994|By John Harris III | John Harris III,Contributing Writer

The ice at Meade High wasn't restricted to the roads and sidewalks outside the gym last night.

Arundel's Sean Soyars coolly sank six straight free throws in the final 43 seconds to lead the Wildcats to a 75-69 win over Anne Arundel 4A league opponent Meade.

Soyars' clutch foul shooting capped a 27-point, seven-rebound evening. Junior guard Bakari Ward added 20 points to help the 18th-ranked Wildcats improve to 8-4 overall and 4-1 in the league.

"Sean is always doing things like that, especially after I jump on him," said Arundel coach Gerald Moore. "I don't know what was wrong with us tonight. I think the kids still had their minds on the snow. But we did what we had to do in order to win."

The Wildcats used a six-minute, 40-second 24-10 run to take their biggest lead of the night at 60-42 on Ward's 10-footer. Soyars started the spurt with a three-pointer 20 sec

onds into the third quarter.

Soyars added two baskets off rebounds, and Ward furnished a three-point play and a layup. Jeff Hedrick (seven points, six rebounds, four assists) provided four points and two assists in the run. Baskets by D. J. Knotts (six points) and Tyrone Jones (team-high 20 points) cut the lead to 60-46 at the end of the quarter.

The Mustangs (6-6, 4-4) rallied at the beginning of the final period.

Mike Ellis' steal and breakaway layup capped a 14-2 run, bringing the hosts within 62-60 with 3:44 left. Ellis scored six of his eight points in the rally, hitting a 10-footer and a layup to open the quarter.

Ward's drive and Soyars' 18-footer gave the Wildcats a 66-60 lead at the 2:10 mark. Dennis Jenks (19 points) drilled his fifth three-pointer on the next trip downcourt to bring Meade within three.

Soyars then scored nine straight points during the game's final 1:45 to seal the win.

"Meade didn't give up, and they showed lots of heart," said Moore. "They have a lot of tradition there, and they showed how tough they were by coming back."

The Wildcats entered halftime with a 36-32 lead, thanks to 11 first-half points by Ward. Two free throws by Paul Fairbanks with 2:52 left in the second period gave the Wildcats their second six-point lead of the half, 36-30.

D'Andre Hiers (eight points, five rebounds) converted a layup with 45 seconds remaining in the half to close the gap to four.

Meade held the lead for 57 seconds of the first quarter. Jenks hit the first of four three-pointers during the period to give his team a 3-2 lead. Ellis gave Meade its final lead two minutes later with a driving layup.

Kevin Higgins and Paul Madden chipped in with nine and eight points, respectively, for Arundel. William Bates pulled down a team-high six rebounds for Meade.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.