Southwestern's Waters saves best for last in win

January 26, 1994|By Jeff Seidel | Jeff Seidel,Contributing Writer

Kevin Waters of Southwestern picked a good time to score his only points of the game.

Waters scored his two baskets in the final 40 seconds, including the game-winner with 7.5 seconds remaining to lift No. 3 Southwestern to a 59-57 victory over visiting and No. 11 Walbrook in a Baltimore City 4A League game yesterday.

The first basket by Waters was a 10-foot baseline jumper that gave Southwestern (10-0, 2-0) a 57-55 lead with 40 seconds left. Reginald Johnson found the wide-open Waters, who then hit the soft jumper.

Walbrook's Tony Tyrell tied it five seconds later with two free throws.

Southwestern then set up for the winning play. Guard Haywood Eaddy drove and dished off to Waters, who laid it in from the left side for the victory.

"I saw he was penetrating," said Waters, a 6-foot-4 senior forward. "I just stepped to the side and waved my arms."

Eaddy said the final play was his call.

"The play was just for me to penetrate and make something good happen," said Eaddy, who had 10 points and eight assists. "He was wide open."

Defense also helped Southwestern. The Sabers forced three turnovers, including two in the backcourt, in the final 90 seconds. The final miscue set up the first Waters basket.

Southwestern scored the decisive basket from a half-court set, but the Sabers struggled in that area much of the game.

The Warriors (4-4, 2-1) spread the court throughout the second half, often holding the ball for up to a minute and controlling the tempo.

"We never got to play our game," said Southwestern coach Terry Leverett. "We never got into it."

Southwestern did spread around its scoring, however. Nine players scored -- led by Ernie Evans (15 points), Donnie Joy (11) and Eaddy.

Three-point shots helped keep Walbrook close. Anton Jenifer and Travon Broadway each scored 19 points, with Jenifer hitting five three-pointers. Two came in the final 90 seconds of the first half as the Warriors sliced a nine-point deficit to 29-27 at halftime.

Walbrook led for much of the fourth quarter, taking a 48-47 lead when Jenifer made his final three-pointer with 5:34 left, and Southwestern did not lead again until Waters made his first basket.

Walbrook appeared to be in control late, leading by two points with under two minutes left and having possession, but the three turnovers hurt.

"Our biggest problem is we'll play [good for a while] and then we'll break down," said Walbrook coach Gus Herrington.

"In the end, to beat good teams you've got to play four good quarters."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.