Convicted rapist pleads guilty in 2 other sexual assaults

January 26, 1994|By Alan J. Craver | Alan J. Craver,Staff Writer

A man who pleaded guilty last week in the rapes of two western Howard County women accepted a plea agreement yesterday in two other attacks, on two women in Montgomery County in 1990.

William Kirk Evans, 52, of Silver Spring pleaded guilty to two first-degree sexual offenses in Montgomery County Circuit Court. He could be sentenced to life in prison.

In another plea agreement, Evans pleaded guilty to two counts of first-degree rape in Howard County Circuit Court Jan. 19 in the abduction and rape of a Dayton woman and a Mount Airy woman in 1992.

Howard and Montgomery prosecutors are seeking four life sentences for Evans, who would be permitted to serve the terms simultaneously. His defense attorney is expected to request a lenient sentence.

Evans, a former systems analyst for the United Mine Workers Health and Retirement Fund in Washington, would have to serve at least 15 years of the life sentences before becoming eligible for parole.

He will be sentenced March 15 for the Howard cases and March 21 for the Montgomery cases.

Evans, who twice attempted suicide while being held at the Howard County Detention Center, initially pleaded not criminally responsible by reason of insanity. He withdrew that plea as part of the plea agreements.

In the Montgomery County cases, Evans was accused of breaking into the homes of two Burtonsville women, one in April 1990 and the second in September 1990, while the women were asleep, tying them up and forcing them to perform sex acts.

The victims were unable to identify Evans as their attacker, but police and prosecutors linked Evans to the incidents through DNA tests.

In Howard County, Evans is accused of breaking into the homes of a Dayton woman in May 1992 and a Mount Airy woman in November 1992, forcing the women to leave with him at gunpoint and raping them at his home.

He later released the women, giving them money for cab fare and telephone calls.

After the attack on the Mount Airy woman, police searched for a small white car that matched the description from a motorist who had tried to follow Evans after seeing him force the woman into his car.

The investigators found Evans' 1988 Dodge Colt parked in the driveway of his home on Rhapsody Lane in the Tanglewood section of Silver Spring on Dec. 18, 1992.

Investigators were able to match Evans' fingerprints from an earlier arrest with a print left on a pair of sunglasses he had forced the Mount Airy woman to wear while she was being attacked.

Evans was arrested Dec. 21, 1992, at Suburban Hospital in Bethesda, where he was seeking psychiatric treatment for compulsive obsessive behavior.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.