William C. Rust Jr.World War II veteranWilliam C. Rust...

January 25, 1994

William C. Rust Jr.

World War II veteran

William C. Rust Jr., a decorated World War II veteran and retired route salesman for H&S Bakery in Baltimore, died of heart failure Saturday at Van Zandt Veterans Administration Medical Center in Altoona, Pa. He was 78.

He retired in 1977 after nine years with H&S. Earlier, he had worked in sales with the old Rice's Bakery.

Daughter-in-law Jean Harmic said, "William was a very quiet person; he didn't talk much about his past. He was very patriotic."

He belonged to Mount Ararat Lodge of the Masons, Boumi Temple and the National League of Masonic Clubs-Ashlar Club, and the American Legion and the Loyal Order of the Moose, both in Edgewood.

While serving in the Army from 1941 to 1944, he attained the rank of staff sergeant. During World War II, he was awarded two Purple Hearts as a result of wounds he received in the Pacific Theater. He was honorably discharged and was a member of the Disabled American Veterans.

Funeral services were set for 1 p.m. today at the McComas Funeral Home, 1317 Cokesbury Road in Abingdon.

Other survivors include his wife of 26 years, Dora J. Schurr; a daughter, Katherine Crist of Baltimore; three stepsons; Randall Harmic and Robert Harmic, both of Baltimore, and John Harmic of Bellwood, Pa.; three grandchildren; 10 step-grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.

Samuel A. Tucker

Lawyer

Samuel A. Tucker, who had practiced law in Baltimore since 1963 despite having been born with cerebral palsy, died Sunday at Northwest Hospital Center after a heart attack. He was 56.

The Pikesville resident had had offices in the Equitable Building in downtown Baltimore since 1963. He was known for the "goodie bag," as family members described it, of pens, calendars, mirrors and other advertising specialties for his practice that he kept on hand.

He was a graduate of Forest Park High School and the University of Baltimore law school.

A cousin, Sue Hurwitz, said that since an operation at the age of 1 that made it possible for him to walk, "he had been motivated to lead a full life and was an inspiration to others."

Relatives also spoke of his friendliness and willingness to help others, and noted that he regularly appeared on the United Cerebral Palsy Telethon.

Services were set for 9 a.m. today at Sol Levinson & Bros. Inc., 6010 Reisterstown Road.

He is survived by his wife, the former Rebecca Flaxman; and many nieces, nephews, grandnieces, grandnephews and cousins.

Martha W. Goldsborough, who was the first librarian at the Severna Park branch of the Anne Arundel County Library, died Jan. 17 of pneumonia at the Fairfield Nursing Center in Crownsville.

She was 83 and had lived in Severna Park since the early 1940s.

She began working at the library in the mid-1940s and retired about 20 years ago. She was the first librarian at the branch, according to her family.

Mrs. Goldsborough was born in Denton. Her father was T. Alan Goldsborough, who served in Congress and then as a federal district judge in Washington.

She attended the Oldfields School, Washington College, Bryn Mawr College and Temple University.

She was a librarian in Baltimore for the Medical and Chirurgical Faculty of Maryland in the early 1930s.

She had been active in the Severna Park and Annapolis communities as a volunteer for Meals on Wheels, a member of the Severn River Garden Club and the Auxiliary of the Anne Arundel Medical Center, and as author of a column of Severna Park news that appeared in the Evening Capital in the late 1950s and early 1960s.

Her husband, Heath Dodge Goldsborough, who died in 1974, was an engineer for Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co. of Maryland.

She is survived by a daughter, Martha G. Cooley of Waynesboro, Va.; a son, Nicholas Goldsborough of Annapolis; and eight grandchildren.

A memorial service was held Saturday.

Francis C. Lang

Waverly Press officer

Francis C. Lang, retired treasurer of Waverly Press, died Friday of cancer at the Joseph Richey Hospice. He was 80.

The Roland Avenue resident retired in 1978 after serving as treasurer since 1960.

He had been associated with Waverly since he started working in the composing room in 1938 and had held several other positions with that company and with Williams and Wilkens, the associated publishing company. He had been corporate secretary and comptroller and a member of the executive committee.

Born in Baltimore, he was a 1931 graduate of Catonsville High School. He also attended the Johns Hopkins University.

Before starting with Waverly, he worked for Pittsburgh Plate Glass Co.

Mr. Lang served in the Navy during World War II.

He was a president of the Roland Park Civic League and had also been the first treasurer and a charter member of the Maryland Food Committee.

He had also been a volunteer at the Loch Raven Veterans Hospital and, from 1988 until December, at Union Memorial Hospital.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.