Chimney fire leaves Union Bridge family homeless

January 24, 1994

A Union Bridge family was left homeless after a chimney fire severely damaged its Pipe Creek Road home Saturday morning, fire officials said.

The fire was reported at 12:03 a.m. It took about 40 firefighters 90 minutes to extinguish the blaze, which destroyed the attic and heavily damaged the second floor.

Arthur and Kathryn Carr and their children, Alice, 17, and Allan, 14, escaped unharmed.

The state fire marshal's office determined the blaze was accidental, said W. Faron Taylor, a deputy fire marshal. The fire started when "heat and smoke from a wood furnace broke through the chimney of the two-story brick dwelling, igniting wood in the attic," Mr. Taylor said.

FIRE

* Taneytown: Taneytown responded to an emergency water detail on Carnival Drive at 1:48 p.m. Friday. Units were out for 49 minutes.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.