A 29-year-old Manchester man lost the tips of three fingers on his right hand when they were chopped off by the spinning fan blade of his car Tuesday night.
Gary B. Wheeler, of the 2800 block of Hanover Pike, was attempting to connect a tow rope to the frame of his 1982 Chevrolet, which was stuck in snow in a field near his home, when the accident occurred. He started the car's engine before trying to attach the rope, state police reported yesterday.
The victim was flown to the Raymond Curtis Hand Center at Union Memorial Hospital by a state police MedEvac helicopter after the 8:45 p.m. incident. He was treated and released, a hospital spokesman said.
* Lineboro: Lineboro, Manchester, Hampstead and Pleasant Hill, Pa., firefighters responded for a chimney fire in the 4100 block of Main St. at 8:07 a.m. yesterday. The fire was out when firefighters arrived , but units remained at the scene for almost an hour to ensure that the blaze had not spread to other sections of the house. There were no injuries.
Lineboro, Manchester and Hampstead were dispatched for a house fire in the 4400 block of Jenny Court at 2:47 a.m. yesterday. Lineboro Fire Chief John Krebs said a chimney cap clogged with creosote and ice resulted in smoke filling the house. The fire did not extend into the house. Units were out for 95 minutes.
* Manchester: Manchester, Lineboro and Hampstead responded for a stove fire in the 2700 block of Ebbvale Road at 6:18 p.m. Tuesday. Units were out for 55 minutes.