Chiefs go 4th, 28-20

January 17, 1994|By Bill Plaschke | Bill Plaschke,Los Angeles Times

HOUSTON -- It was a day Joe Montana was to be broken at the hands of the unfeeling Houston Oilers.

But when the fighting stopped, the hands raised triumphantly into the sky were his.

The legend was supposed to end, but the legend only grew. Montana rallied the Kansas City Chiefs to 21 fourth-quarter points yesterday in defeating the Oilers, 28-20, in an AFC divisional playoff game.

Their 11-game win streak having disappeared, the Oilers sought comfort in the supernatural.

"Amazing, just amazing," safety Bubba McDowell said. "It's almost like Joe Montana's got magic. Seriously. How does he do it?"

How, indeed? That question was left for Montana to savor after he threw three touchdown passes in the final 26 minutes to bring the Chiefs within one game of their first Super Bowl in 24 years.

"It feels as good as ever, [knowing] a lot of people counted you out, said you'd never make it this far," Montana said. "It feels good to be at this point, still in one piece, still playing."

Against Buddy Ryan's defense with subtle orders to knock him out of the game, he only got stronger.

At halftime, the Chiefs trailed 10-0. Montana had nine completions in 20 attempts, although Willie Davis dropped a sure touchdown pass, one of several drops by the Chiefs.

Montana had ribs so sore they required two pre-game painkiller shots. He had a swollen left hand.

Yet, Montana:

* Threw his first touchdown pass less than five minutes into the second half -- a 7-yard pass to Keith Cash -- while being chased by William Fuller.

* Threw his second touchdown pass -- an 11-yard toss to J. J. Birden -- with six men in his face.

* Threw the go-ahead touchdown pass with 7:44 remaining in the game by purposely throwing the ball behind Davis, who was blanketed by Cris Dishman. Davis leaned backward and caught the ball behind Dishman for an 18-yard score.

* Watched Marcus Allen run 21 yards for the clinching touchdown with 1:55 remaining after completing a 41-yard pass play on a wobbly fly ball to Cash. Wobbly, because Montana threw it while being knocked on his back.

Said Dishman: "I haven't seen any quarterback throw a pass like him."

Said Fuller: "He may be the greatest."

How does he do it? That question must now be pondered by the Buffalo Bills, who will play host to the Chiefs next Sunday in the AFC title game.

Montana threw for two touchdowns earlier this year when the Chiefs defeated the Bills in Kansas City, 23-7. The maligned Chiefs defense played well in that game, but nothing like it played yesterday.

Taking advantage of injuries to Oilers offensive linemen David Williams and Mike Munchak, the defense held 1,002-yard rusher Gary Brown to 17 yards in 11 carries.

"Guys like Joe who have shown the ability to do it under pressure, they do lift players around them to a different level," Kansas City coach Marty Schottenheimer said.

That level was reached yesterday, according to several Chiefs, during a play late in the second quarter.

The Oilers were driving for a touchdown that would have given them a 17-0 lead when Brown grabbed the face mask of low-key cornerback Albert Lewis as Lewis was driving him out of bounds.

To the surprise of nearly everyone on the Kansas City sideline, Lewis shoved Brown, who then took a swing at him. Lewis swung back, and then several Chiefs and Oilers jumped on the two players, causing a disturbance that resulted, surprisingly, in only offsetting penalties.

One play later, Lewis sacked Moon and caused a fumble that was recovered by the Chiefs' Jaime Fields, and the half ended 10-0.

For the rest of the game, it was the Oilers who were intimidated.

L The Chiefs sacked Moon nine times. Montana was sacked twice.

After scoring the first touchdown, Cash spiked the ball into a banner that featured a drawing of Ryan.

"That was my 'Buddy Ball,' " Cash said. "Got him right between the eyes. We were sick of his mouth."

By the time the game ended, the Chiefs were screaming back at the crowd of 64,011, the largest to see a football game in the Astrodome.

"The fight by Albert, that gave us the passion we needed," kicker Nick Lowery said. "From then on, it wasn't like, 'How can we stop them?'

"It was like, 'How bad can we kick their butts?' "

The Oilers are the only NFL team that has made the playoffs in each of the past seven years, but they have yet to advance as far as a conference championship game.

"I just can't imagine that we won't be going onto the practice field this Wednesday to prepare for Buffalo," receiver Haywood Jeffires said. "It hurts again this year. It hurts a lot."

Montana was hurting a lot when he started the second half, clutching a left hand that had been smashed during a blitz and wincing with every sudden turn.

"I actually thought he was out of the game at one point," McDowell said. "But he kept coming back."

Oilers linebacker Lamar Lathon also thought Montana was on the verge of leaving early in the fourth quarter, with the Oilers leading 10-7.

As Montana walked off the field during a timeout, Lathon confronted him.

"He told me, 'We're coming after you,' " Montana recalled, smiling. "I told him, 'Yeah, I know.' "

Montana was sacked by Lathon on the next play, then threw an jTC interception, and the Oilers took a 13-7 lead minutes later on a 43-yard field goal by Al Del Greco.

But then Montana led the Chiefs to two touchdowns in a period of 54 seconds, with two drives sandwiched around a lost fumble by Moon.

Ryan may still be cursing.

"Joe Montana," he said, summing up the game. "He just kept getting up."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.