No. 8 Milford Mill puts away Towson in second half for 88-52 win

January 15, 1994|By Jeff Seidel | Jeff Seidel,Contributing Writer

Towson scored the final eight points of the first half against Milford Mill to get back into the game. But in the first two minutes of the second half, the Millers took Towson out of the game.

No. 8 Milford Mill scored nine straight points in the first 1:47 of the second half to take control, and Blanchard Hurd finished with points and 16 rebounds to lift the Millers to an 88-52 victory over visiting Towson in a Baltimore County Class 1A-2A game last night.

Milford Mill (9-0, 6-0) dominated Towson (3-6, 3-5) at times in the first half. The Millers turned up the speed during a couple of stretches, taking a 19-point lead at one point before the Generals' late rally cut it to 37-26 at the break.

"I thought we did not play good team defense in the first half," said Milford Mill coach Homer Seidel. "Then, in the second half, we played better team defense."

The Millers turned up the heat on defense. They threw a variety of pressure defenses at the Generals, and Towson could not handle it.

Milford Mill forced nine third-quarter turnovers and 14 in the second half. It often converted those miscues into fast breaks and easy baskets.

Towson's second-half trouble began early. Keon Sellman (11 points) hit a 15-foot jumper seconds into the half and followed that with a layup. Jermaine Dunn (10 points, nine rebounds) followed with a layup off a pass from Kenny Bostic (18 points, 13 assists).

Sellman added a three-pointer and Milford Mill had increased its lead to 46-26 with 6:13 left in the quarter. Towson never got closer than 20 again.

The Generals kept the game close for much of the first half with a good half-court offense. They took their time and swung the ball around the perimeter looking for a good shot.

In the second half, however, the Milford Mill defense forced a quicker game that hurt Towson.

"In the first half, the word of the game was patience," said Towson coach Randy Dase. "In the second half, [Milford Mill] got the first three baskets and that [hurt]."

The turnovers helped Milford Mill open up its offense. The Millers' potent fast break appeared more often.

Said Bostic: "We opened it up a little more. We got a lot of easy layups in the third quarter."

Bostic helped with the easy layups. He made several slick passes to set up teammates for the easy shots.

The Millers also got a good performance from the front line, anchored by twin towers Hurd and Dunn. The two 6-foot-7 forwards ruled the paint and kept Towson from doing anything close to the basket.

Hurd finished with five blocks in addition to the 20 points and 16 rebounds. He made several nice spin moves for jumpers along the baseline and added a dunk early in the fourth quarter to cap off the night.

Dunn, in addition to his other statistics, had five assists, five steals and four blocks. The front line was too much for Towson as the Millers held a 49-35 edge in rebounding.

Towson, which was led by Chris Palmisano (16 points) and Tim Womack (10 points), hustled the entire game but could not keep up with Milford Mill.

"I'm totally pleased with our kids' effort," said Dase. "Being down 11 at halftime was a tribute to their tremendous effort. Unfortunately, when the opposition has speed, quickness and size on you, the second half can be a long, dark tunnel."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.