Beaumont sparks Gibbons past Loyola, 68-51

January 15, 1994|By Derek Toney | Derek Toney,Contributing Writer

In Saturday's editions, two Cardinal Gibbons basketball players were misidentified. Troy Queen, who graduated last year, missed four games last season. Kevin Dukes quit the team during the Christmas holiday.

+ The Sun regrets the errors.

In a key early-season battle in the Catholic League race, No. 6 Cardinal Gibbons (12-4, 3-0) defeated visiting and No. 19 Loyola last night, 68-51.

Senior forward Ryan Beaumont led Cardinal Gibbons with 20 points and 10 rebounds. Steve Wojciechowski added 15 points and 10 assists, and Jerard Rucker scored 14 points.


With the victory, the Crusaders remained undefeated in the league and appear to have early edge in the race heading into tomorrow's game with No. 13 St. Frances (1-1 league) at the University of Baltimore.

"We didn't play our best game an still won by 17," said Cardinal Gibbons coach Ray Mullis. "Beaumont had his best game statistically and we got great leadership from Beaumont, Wojciechowski and Rucker."

Last season, Cardinal Gibbons began the Catholic League schedule with four straight wins, but slumped for the remainder, finishing at 8-6. One reason was the loss of guard Kevin Dukes, who was out for four games with a knee injury.

The Crusaders were dealt a blow a few weeks ago when senior guard Troy Queen quit the squad during the Christmas Holiday. But Cardinal Gibbons is hoping that this season's fast start in the league lead to a strong finish in March.

Leading 36-30 at halftime, the Crusaders opened the second half with a 10-0 run to take a 46-30 lead with 5:52 remaining in the third quarter.

The Dons (8-7, 1-2) responded with a 12-1 run, capped by a three-pointer by Jared Clelan, to pull them to within 47-42 with 2:26 left in the third quarter. Cardinal Gibbons got baskets from Wojciechowski and Rucker to push the lead to 51-42.

A layup by Clelan pulled the Dons back to within 56-46 with 7:32 left in the final quarter, but back-to-back layups by Wojciechowski extended the Crusaders' lead back to 60-46 with 6:13 remaining.

"We came out of the gate to start the third quarter ready to play at both ends of the floor," said Mullis. "A lot of times we played in spurts offensively and when you do that it allows a team to hang in there with you."

The Crusaders built a 17-14 first-quarter lead as Beaumont contributed six points. The Dons also aided Gibbons with seven turnovers.

After a free throw pulled Loyola to 18-17, the Crusaders responded with a pair of free throws by Beaumont and a pair of baskets by Rucker to extend their lead to 24-17 with 5:05 left in the first half.

The lead went to 29-21 on a three-pointer by Wojciechowski, but Rucker, the Crusaders' second-leading scorer picked up his third foul with 2:30 left in the half.

Loyola received four points from Tim O'Hara during a 6-2 spurt that closed the margin to 31-27 with 1:29 left, but a three-point play by Ryan Beaumont and a basket by Vernon Collins, push the lead back to 36-27.

"We could have played a little better as a team." said Beaumont, 6 feet 2.

"We had a real good practice yesterday [Thursday] and we should have had a better effort."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.