Hedrick helps Arundel steal upset of Southern-AA, 76-72

January 12, 1994|By Pat O'Malley | Pat O'Malley,Staff Writer

Arundel senior guard Jeff Hedrick didn't score a point last night in Gambrills, but his two steals in the last 20 seconds enabled No. 16 Arundel to upset No. 7 Southern-Anne Arundel, 76-72.

The host Wildcats managed the upset with leading scorer and rebounder Sean Soyars (game-high 32 points and 13 rebounds) on the Boys basketball

bench in the final minute after fouling out.

A steal and subsequent layup by Bakari Ward (20 points) with 22 seconds left gave the Wildcats (7-3) a 73-72 lead. On the $H ensuing possession, Hedrick stole the ball right back and passed to Paul Madden, who was intentionally fouled by the Dawgs (6-2) with 12 seconds left.

Madden hit one of two free-throw attempts and was fouled again on the Wildcats' inbounds pass, this time with 10 seconds left. He missed, and Chatney Howard, who scored eight of his team-high 19 points in the final period, grabbed the rebound for Southern.

Howard fired an outlet pass to Adrian Turner, who appeared ready to complete the fast break with a layup only to have Hedrick strip the ball just inside the paint.

Hedrick then heaved the ball to the other end to Madden, who put it in for the final margin of victory.

"Great athletes make great plays," said Arundel coach Gerald Moore, whose team trailed most of the way. "Jeff is the shortstop on the baseball team and, of course, plays football, and just knows how to step up when it counts the most."

While he gave credit to the victors, losing coach Tom Albright said his Dawgs "didn't play smart and made a couple bad passes" in the waning moments. "We had the lead and couldn't hold it. It was a tough loss."

The Dawgs had a four-point lead at the half and turned a 59-57 lead at the end of the third period into a 63-57 advantage with about six minutes to go.

Howard, who sat out part of the first period after twisting an ankle, favored it until the last period. The county's leading scorer (27.0 points) scored the basket that put Southern up by six in the last period and scored the Dawgs' final six points. His last basket came with 1:10 to go and gave Southern a 72-71 lead before Ward's layup that put the Wildcats up to stay.

Kevin Higgins (15 points) and Soyars hit two of the Wildcats' seven three-pointers and each hit two free throws in the last five minutes.

Arundel went into a stall with 1:51 left, but Ward turned it over and Howard converted on the other end to give Southern its last lead, 72-71. Soyars fouled out on the ensuing Wildcats possession.

"I was very concerned when Sean fouled out," said Moore. "But with Soyars in foul trouble and then finally fouling out, it was time to find out about our bench."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.