Man held in Dec. slaying

January 12, 1994|By Kris Antonelli | Kris Antonelli,Staff Writer

A 20-year-old Shady Side man was being held without bail in the Anne Arundel County Detention Center last night on charges that he raped and murdered an Annapolis woman on a deserted south county road after she pleaded with him for her life.

Alvin Winslow Gross of the 4800 block Atwell Court was arrested Monday evening near his home and charged with first-degree murder and rape in the death of Margaret Courson, 28.

Investigators said Ms. Courson of the 100 block of Prince George St. became depressed and went drinking in downtown Annapolis bars Dec. 18 after a man broke a date with her. She arrived home about 2 a.m. before going out again, police said.

She was last seen about 3 a.m. Dec. 19 near the City Dock by witnesses who told police she appeared to be drunk. Her partially clothed body was found by a passer-by about four hours later on the side of the 300 block of Leitch Road. She died of multiple gunshot wounds.

According to charging documents, homicide investigators tracked down several tips that led them to a witness identified only as Sidney Reginald Scott, who told them during an interview Monday at the Southern District Police Station that he was with Mr. Gross when he allegedly raped and killed Ms. Courson.

Mr. Scott told police that Mr. Gross picked him up somewhere in Churchton early Dec. 19. A woman later identified as Ms. Courson was in the back seat of his truck, apparently drunk, the documents said.

The three rode around South County for a while as Ms. Courson pleaded that she would "do whatever she had to do to live," the charging documents said.

But Mr. Gross drove to the dead end of Bob White Court in Tracy's Landing where he allegedly ordered Ms. Courson to take off her clothes, the documents said. He then placed a handgun on the --board of the truck and took a condom out of the truck's console before raping her, Mr. Scott told investigators.

According to the documents, Mr. Gross then drove to the 300 block of Leitch Road where he told Mr. Scott to let Ms. Courson out of the truck. As she got out on the passenger side of the truck, Mr. Gross got out on the other side and walked toward her, the documents said.

Mr. Scott said he heard several gunshots before Mr. Gross got back into the truck and asked him if he thought he had killed Ms. Courson, the charging documents said.

Court records show that Mr. Gross pleaded guilty to possession of cocaine, marijuana and PCP on Dec. 7 and was released until his sentencing scheduled for Jan. 28.

The week after the slaying, he tested positive for cocaine use and was to have been picked up by sheriff's deputies. A Circuit Court judge had ordered the testing after the guilty plea.

Mr. Gross was to have had a bail review hearing in District Court yesterday, but his lawyer, Gill Cochran, asked for a postponement to give him time to speak with his client.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.