Man not criminally responsible in racial incident

January 12, 1994|By Alan J. Craver | Alan J. Craver,Staff Writer

A Columbia man was found not criminally responsible because of his mental condition yesterday for racially harassing two boys in his neighborhood last fall.

Jeffrey Clayton Stanley, who is white, was referred to the state Department of Health and Mental Hygiene for an evaluation to determine the type of treatment he should receive for his condition.

Mr. Stanley, 33, of the 6200 block of Copper Sky in the Owen Brown village, is accused of shouting racial slurs at two black youths, ages 12 and 13, as he charged toward them while they played basketball near his home on Oct. 27.

"You can't go around, for whatever reason, conducting these kinds of activities and making these kinds of statements," Judge Louis Becker told Mr. Stanley at a hearing in Howard District Court.

Mr. Stanley accepted a plea agreement to one count of racial harassment, a charge that carries a maximum sentence of up to three years in prison and up to $5,000 in fines.

As part of the plea agreement, prosecutors dropped charges of assault, battery, disturbing the peace and resisting arrest.

A Jan. 10 evaluation by doctors at Springfield Hospital Center in Sykesville showed that Mr. Stanley suffers from paranoid schizophrenia, delusions of grandeur and delusions of persecution. The findings were read into the court record at yesterday's hearing.

The doctors noted that Mr. Stanley, who was under treatment at the time of the incident, believes that blacks are harassing him and his family.

Mr. Stanley will remain under treatment for an undetermined period of time.

Assistant State's Attorney William Tucker said he will not oppose Mr. Stanley's release, once it is determined that he is no longer a threat to society.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.