Josefina PriceHelped orphansJosefina "Nena" Pena Vazquez...

January 12, 1994

Josefina Price

Helped orphans

Josefina "Nena" Pena Vazquez Price, who helped orphaned children get an education in her native Manila, Philippines, and was hostess to U.S. presidents, died Sunday of an aortic aneurysm at Johns Hopkins Hospital. She was 71.

She met her husband, Thomas Howard Price Jr., a native of Stockton Farm in Phoenix, Baltimore County, during World War II when he served aboard the first Navy vessel to enter Manila Bay during that conflict. The couple married in 1945.

Mr. Price was a Veterans Administration official whose assignments alternated between Washington, D.C., and Manila. He was director of the VA's Baltimore office from 1974 to 1976. He retired in 1988 in the Philippines.

During her husband's stints in the Philippines, Mrs. Price was official hostess when Presidents Lyndon B. Johnson and Richard M. Nixon, Vice President Spiro T. Agnew and other government and diplomatic officials visited the islands.

The former Josefina Pena Vazquez was born and reared in Manila and was a 1938 graduate of the French Convent School in Hong Kong. She earned her bachelor's degree from the University of Santo Thomas in the Philippines in 1942.

"Her great passion was providing funds for Philippine orphans to attend high school and college, and orchids," said her son, Thomas H. Price III of Fulton, Howard County. "She grew over 100 varieties of orchids."

She was active in the Catholic Women's League and the Manila Polo Club and served on the auxiliary board of the Veterans Memorial Center in Manila. She also was an American Red Cross volunteer.

Services were set for 2 p.m. today at Clynmalira Methodist Church, Old York and Stockton roads in Phoenix. In addition to her husband and son, survivors include a daughter, Pamela Dix of Silver Spring; and four grandchildren. Martin K. Bradin, retired manager of the Taxpayer Service Section of the Sales and Use Tax Division in the Maryland comptroller's office, died Sunday of an apparent stroke at his home on Westfield Avenue in Baltimore. He was 63.

He retired in 1992 after working 35 years in the comptroller's office.

Born in Baltimore, he attended Loyola High School and graduated from City College. He later attended the University of Baltimore. During the Korean War, he served in the Army on Guam and in England.

He was a former president and a member of the board of Hasslinger's Athletic Association, and was the group's Man of the Year in 1986.

He also belonged to the American Legion, the Veterans of Foreign Wars, St. John's Oldtimers of the Tenth Ward and the United Third District Democratic Club.

He was a member of the Knights of Columbus and an usher and member of the Health Ministry Committee at St. Dominic's Roman Catholic Church, Harford Road and Gibbons Avenue, where a Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 9:30 a.m. today.

Mr. Bradin is survived by his wife of 43 years, the former Mildred E. Mathias; two sons, Timothy Bradin of Baltimore and Michael Bradin of Glen Burnie; a sister, Dolores M. Huber of Tempe, Ariz.; and two granddaughters.

Leonard P. Baker Jr.

Lawyer, accountant

Leonard Passano Baker Jr., a lawyer and accountant who with his wife escaped from a burning ship in a lifeboat in 1980, died Jan. 2 of pneumonia at Roland Park Place. He was 82.

He and his wife, Margaret, were passengers aboard the Prinsendam, an 8,655-ton, Holland American ocean liner that caught fire in the Gulf of Alaska and sank during a 1980 voyage to the Orient.

They were forced from their stateroom by an early morning engine-room fire that had spread to the dining saloon. They waited on deck with other passengers before being ordered to abandon ship.

"We were on the port side," Mr. Baker recalled in a 1980 Evening Sun interview. "We got into a large rowboat with no power. It was meant for 64 people but held about 80 to 90."

They spent 11 hours in freezing weather before they were picked up by rescue helicopters and taken to Anchorage, Alaska.

Mr. Baker was reared on Park Avenue, graduated from Polytechnic Institute and attended the U.S. Naval Academy for two years.

He earned an accounting degree before joining the Army during World War II. He initially served as an accountant with the Johns Hopkins Hospital unit in Fiji and New Zealand, and later participated in the D-Day invasion.

He continued his education at the University of Baltimore, where he earned his bachelor's degree in 1952 and a law degree in 1953. After graduation, he established Ellin & Baker, an accounting and law firm from which he retired in 1980.

He and his wife liked to travel, and in 1989, after visiting Alaska, they flew to the Arctic Circle where they panned for gold. They also had traveled throughout Europe and Asia.

He was a member of the Society of Colonial Wars, the Society of the Cincinnati and Mensa.

Memorial services were set for 11 a.m. today at St. David's Episcopal Church, 4700 Roland Ave.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.