Arundel edges Gilman

January 08, 1994|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,Staff Writer

Buddy Hepfer has had a wild week.

Last Saturday, the 24th-year Arundel wrestling coach watched his Wildcats (8-0) surprise a 10-team field to win their holiday tournament.

On Tuesday, his squad downed North County, 54-10, as he became what is believed to be Anne Arundel County's first coach to reach 200 career victories.

And last night, his No. 8 Wildcats swept their tri-meet, including DTC a thrilling, 34-30 victory over No. 7 Gilman (4-1).

"I've got to give these kids all the credit in the world," said Hepfer, whose squad also downed Poly, 48-18. "They've been wrestling like they mean business."

Poly (2-3) lost, 59-6, to Gilman. The Engineers' only double-winner was No. 3 Rashaad Kitchen (189, 4-0, two pins), who had a 7-4 decision of Gilman's Jamie Biddison "I've got to give these kids all the credit in the world. They've been wrestling like they mean business.

(13-3). Also in that match, Gilman's No. 6 Maakan Taghizade (103, 13-6) scored a technical fall over Poly's city champ, Tony Bridges.

"Arundel's a good team. They got important points and hung on to win," said Gilman coach Chris Legg, whose Greyhounds won last year's match, 39-23, over Arundel.

"It was just two teams going after each other. When the dust settled, they had the points to win."

Gilman led Arundel 8-6 after three bouts. The Greyhounds' Taghizadeh brothers, freshman Maakan and junior Armen (112, 12-5) scored a decision and a technical fall, respectively, but Arundel's No. 3 Phil Meenan (119, 13-1) scored his 10th fall of the year in 3:15.

Arundel's Chad Webber (125) emerged victorious, 11-9, over Jay Dunning after a back-and-forth battle, but a major decision by Gilman's Tom Knowles (130, 12-7) kept the Greyhounds up, 12-9.

"I never let myself give up mentally," said Webber. "I didn't know how big my win would be, but I just kept on going."

So did Arundel, which led 18-12 after Tim Kelly (135, 12-2) recorded his ninth fall of the season, and freshman Isaac Haertel (140, 13-1) overcame a 5-1 deficit for a 10-7 victory over Gilman's Kirk Caldroney (10-3).

"It took me awhile to get serious, but I finally did after the first period," said Haertel, who has nine pins. "I'm glad that I was able to come back."

Gilman's Greg Plitt (145, 14-5) tied the match at 18 with his first-period pin.

But it was 22-18, Arundel, after Mark Chesla (152, 11-1, nine pins) scored a major decision of John Bond (11-6), and Gilman couldn't close the gap over the final four bouts -- all of which ended by fall.

The Greyhounds' No. 6 Mike Kim (160, 13-4) and Biddison pinned their opponents, as did Arundel's Jon Saverence (171, 12-2) and No. 3 John Noon (heavyweight, 13-0), who registered their sixth and 10th falls, respectively.

"We had Webber and Haertel coming back, which was big," said Hepfer. "Plus we stuck a couple of their kids, and I know they didn't expect that."

What the Greyhounds were hoping for, however, were four more points in the form of pins from the Taghizadehs down low. That would have placed more pressure on Arundel's upper weights.

But Arundel's Casey Harrington -- who also lost his other bout, 7-1, to Poly's Tony Bridges -- put up too great of a fight against Maakan. Instead of a fall, worth six team points, Taghizadeh had to settle for a decision, worth only three.

Likewise, his older brother, Armen, couldn't pin, instead getting a technical fall -- worth five points -- over Arundel's Wayne Nichols.

"I just couldn't turn my guy," said Maakan Taghizadeh. "We've been wrestling in so many tournaments that I don't think we're thinking in terms of dual meets yet."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.