Eliza F. GermanChurch stalwartEliza F. German, who was a...

January 06, 1994

Eliza F. German

Church stalwart

Eliza F. German, who was a volunteer and active in church affairs, died Saturday of cancer at her Auchentoroly Terrace home where she had lived for more than 30 years. She was 83.

She was one of the founding members in 1925 of the Whatcoat Methodist Mission at Pine and Franklin streets, which evolved into Union Memorial Methodist Church in 1950. After 1968, it became known as Union Memorial United Methodist Church.

She had been a church trustee and president of the Women's Society, and was a member of the usher board and Gospel Choir.

She had also been a delegate to the Methodist District Conference and was a lifetime member of the Lovely Lane Methodist Church Historical Society.

She received numerous awards for her work from various Methodist organizations.

She was a member for many years of the auxiliary of the N. M. Carroll Home for the Aged.

The former Eliza F. Robinson was born in Woodstock, Va. She moved to Baltimore with her parents as a child, attended city schools and graduated from Douglass High School.

In 1933, she married Elmer W. German Sr., a presser in a cleaning plant, and the couple made their home for many years in West Baltimore. He died in 1961.

Services were set for noon today at Union Memorial United Methodist Church, Warwick and Harlem avenues, with interment Baltimore National Cemetery.

She is survived by two sons, Stewart K. German of Towson and Elmer W. German Jr. of Riverside, Calif.; two daughters, Carolyn K. Flowers and Barbara R. Porter, both of Baltimore; a sister, Helen M. Robinson of Baltimore; 11 grandchildren; and 15 great-grandchildren.

Memorial donations may be made to the N. M. Carroll Home for the Aged, 701 Arlington Ave., Baltimore, Md. 21217. Sabina Concannon Coyne, a registered nurse and a resident of Roland Park for more than 40 years, died Thursday at Arborcare in Ann Arbor, Mich. She was 98.

Mrs. Coyne had lived with her son and daughter-in-law, Bernard and Dorothy Ann Coyne, in Ann Arbor since 1989.

She lived in Ireland during her early childhood, while her father, John Concannon, was involved in a business venture there.

Her first job was hand-sewing dresses for the old O'Neill department store in Baltimore. As industrialization continued to make inroads into the dressmaking business, Mrs. Coyne was warned that she should look to another trade, according to her son.

She graduated from Mercy Hospital's nursing school in 1923 and subsequently worked at Mercy.

During World War II, she was a nurse for area industrial companies.

She later became a private-duty nurse, then worked at Mount St. Agnes College. She retired in 1965.

Her husband, Bernard A. Coyne Sr., president of the Coyne Brothers Furniture Co., died in 1932.

A Mass of Christian burial is to be offered at 10 a.m. today at SS. Philip and James Roman Catholic Church, 2801 N. Charles St., with interment at New Cathedral Cemetery.

In addition to her son, Mrs. Coyne is survived by four grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.

Memorial donations may be made to the Grass Lake Medical Center, Grass Lake, Mich. 49240.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.