Judges refuse to reduce term in shooting

January 05, 1994

Three Anne Arundel Circuit judges yesterday refused to reduce the 21-year sentence imposed on an Annapolis man convicted of shooting at three city police officers during a drug raid in February.

Darryl L. Jones, 22, of the 300 block of Center St. had asked the judges to reduce the sentence handed down by Judge Lawrence H. Rushworth Nov. 29.

Assistant Public Defender Keith Gross argued Monday that Judge Rushworth failed to adequately consider Jones' age or his lack of criminal record. He also argued that the sentence was excessive because Jones had reason to fear for his life when he fired the shots.

Jones was convicted Sept. 1 of second-degree attempted murder for shooting at Sgt. Paul Gibbs during a drug raid in February at an apartment on Clay and West Washington streets. Jurors also convicted him of assault with intent to maim, assault and battery, reckless endangerment and handgun charges.

Four officers who participated in the raid testified that they repeatedly yelled "police" and "search warrant" as they crashed into the apartment with a battering ram.

Jones said that he shot at the officers, who were dressed in all-black commando gear, when they burst into a friend's apartment at 1 a.m. because he had been robbed twice and thought the officers were thieves trying to rob him again.

But the panel ruled yesterday that the sentence was reasonable considering the seriousness of the incident.

West River man charged with resisting arrest

A 26-year-old West River man was charged with fleeing police, resisting arrest and assault and battery Monday after Annapolis police tried to arrest him for driving on a suspended license.

Police said they had to wrestle Jamore Van Johnson of the 5100 block of Cedarlea Drive to the ground, then fight to get handcuffs on him as he alternately swung his arms away from officers and hid them under his body. Later, Mr. Johnson allegedly kicked one officer and rammed another with his head and shoulders while he was being frisked at the police station.

Police said Mr. Johnson fled when an officer recognized him on Bowman Court at 8:55 p.m. and tried to arrest him for allegedly driving on a license suspended by the Motor Vehicle Administration last winter.

PD Mr. Johnson was released on his own recognizance to await trial.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.