Rape suspect attempts suicide while in detention

January 05, 1994|By Alan J. Craver | Alan J. Craver,Staff Writer

An article in yesterday's Howard County and Carroll County news sections incorrectly described the locations of two 1992 rapes in which police have charged William Kirk Evans. Both attacks occurred in Howard County.

The Sun regrets the error.

A Silver Spring computer analyst attempted suicide in the Howard County Detention Center a day before he was expected to enter into a plea agreement on charges of abducting and raping a Mount Airy woman and a Dayton woman in 1992.

William Kirk Evans, 52, slashed his throat with a disposable razor in his cell Monday morning, said James Rollins, director of the detention center.


This is the second time Mr. Evans has tried to kill himself at the detention center. He placed a plastic bag over his head in February.

Mr. Evans, who was not seriously injured, was taken to Clifton T. Perkins Hospital Center in Jessup.

Senior Assistant State's Attorney Christine Gage notified court officials of Mr. Evans' suicide attempt yesterday, when the defendant was to enter into the plea agreement. His case has been rescheduled in Howard Circuit Court tomorrow.

Assistant Public Defender Sam Truette, who is representing Mr. Evans, said he will talk with his client to determine if he still wants to go through with the plea agreement.

Attorneys would not provide details of the proposed plea agreement.

Mr. Rollins said Mr. Evans was discovered by guards making their routine half-hour rounds in administrative segregation, a section for inmates who need extra attention.

Mr. Evans, a former senior systems analyst for the United Mine Workers Health and Retirement Fund in Washington, is charged with multiple counts of first-degree rape, assault with intent to rape, kidnapping, housebreaking, burglary, sexual offenses and weapons violations.

He is accused of attacking a 22-year-old Mount Airy woman on Nov. 23, 1992, and a 19-year-old Dayton woman on May 14, 1992.

Mr. Evans allegedly entered their houses with a shotgun, abducted them, drove them to his home on Rhapsody Lane in Silver Spring and raped them, according to police reports.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.