Victim's kin sought help from police

January 04, 1994|By Kris Antonelli | Kris Antonelli,Staff Writer

State police are investigating whether troopers at the Glen Burnie barracks mishandled a plea for help by the brother of a woman who was shot and killed Thursday during a domestic dispute in her Severn home.

Kevin Gentry went to the state police barracks about two hours before his sister, Betina Krista Gentry, 18, was found shot to death and her friend fatally wounded, court records show.

According to the documents, Mr. Gentry received a call at his home about 11 a.m. The caller, who was not identified in court papers, told him that his sister was being attacked. Mr. Gentry drove to his sister's house, in the 1900 block of Bastille Court, where he confronted her boyfriend, Darris A. Ware, 22.

The documents say Mr. Ware threatened Mr. Gentry with a semi-automatic handgun. Mr. Gentry drove to the state police barracks in Glen Burnie, apparently to report the incident.

Ms. Gentry's mother found her daughter's body about 1:30 p.m. in the living room. She was shot once in the head, court papers say. Her friend, Cynthia Allen, 22, of the 1900 block of Champlain Drive in Severn, was found in the bathroom with gunshot wounds to her head and torso. She died Friday at the Maryland Schock Trauma Center.

Mr. Ware, of no fixed address, was charged with two counts of first degree murder, police said.

Lt. Greg Shipley, a state police spokesman, would only confirm that a male relative of Ms. Gentry, 18, had walked into the Glen Burnie barracks Thursday and discussed a domestic problem with troopers.

"But we don't know exactly what time he was there or what exactly transpired," he said. Lieutenant Shipley refused to identify the male relative or say whether the relative was there before or after the shooting.

Investigators believe that the shooting was the result of an argument earlier in the day between Ms. Gentry and Mr. Ware. Charging documents say Mr. Ware owned a .380 caliber handgun, and police found shells from that type of gun at the scene. Police would not say if they recovered the gun.

Meanwhile, yesterday, a District Court judge ordered Mr. Ware, whose last known permanent address was in Fort Pierce, Fla., held on $250,000 bond.

According to court records and testimony, Mr. Ware has no serious criminal record and was living with a relative in Glen Burnie at the time of the shooting.

He told Judge Martha F. Rasin that he had once lived with Ms. Gentry and had applied for a job as a state trooper. He said he was scheduled for an interview this month. He and Ms. Gentry were engaged, he added.

According to court papers, Mr. Ware left the house after the shooting and went to an unidentified friend's home, where he changed clothes and called the Gentry home.

It was unclear whom he talked to, but he told his friend that he had to return to the house because the police were looking for him.

"Mr. Ware was told that police were looking for him and he voluntarily showed up at the house and turned himself in," said Todd Hyatt, Mr. Ware's lawyer, as he asked for a reduced bail.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.