W. Va. runs over Mount St. Mary's

December 29, 1993|By Kent Baker | Kent Baker,Staff Writer

MORGANTOWN, W. VA — MORGANTOWN, W. Va. -- Mount St. Mary's waited until later in December this season to launch the toughest part of its schedule on the road.

But the shifting didn't alter any results.

The Mountaineers ran into their third straight heavy favorite last night and dropped their third straight lopsided decision, 100-76, to West Virginia at the Coliseum.

After opening with a 3-1 record at Knott Arena, Mount St. Mary's has lost at Georgia Tech, Florida State and to its namesakes, the Mountaineers, without really offering a challenge.

"We are now finished with that part of the schedule and we achieved a couple goals," said Mount coach Jim Phelan. "One was to win the second half. We did that at Georgia Tech and actually gave them a scare. In this one, we won the second half, but we did not threaten."

Last night's game was over after West Virginia (5-1) ripped to a 31-6 lead in the first seven minutes. By halftime, coach Gale Catlett had cleared his bench, playing everyone except injured Chet Loudermilk.

"I was a little surprised myself with our attitude and competitiveness after this much time off [10 days]," said West Virginia coach Gale Catlett. "This game unfolded better than I anticipated."

Catlett obviously was aware of Mount St. Mary's first-half woes this season and they continued. Phelan's team hit only nine of 35 shots and committed 13 turnovers in the first 20 minutes to fall behind 54-29.

"It's been like this the whole season," said Mount guard Chris McGuthrie. "We've started slow and nobody can explain it."

There was no rally forthcoming. Mount St. Mary's never got closer than 21 in the second half and Phelan tossed up the white flag with seven minutes to go, retiring McGuthrie, Riley Inge and Michael Watson, his best three players, for the night.

"We were being out-quicked and out-hustled and the starters weren't doing anything anyway," said Phelan. "It was time for the learning process -- to let everyone see what it takes at this level."

A crowd of 3,266 braved icy roads and a forecast for four more inches of snow to witness the rout, Mount St. Mary's final tuneup for the start of the Northeast Conference season Jan. 4 at Marist.

It was a long day for the Mount St. Mary's players. The team drove here yesterday afternoon and returned to Emmitsburg after the game, constituting about 10 hours on roads covered by snow most of the way.

"Everybody slept on the way up here," said McGuthrie. "But we've still got a long night in front of us."

West Virginia's all-senior lineup caught the Maryland-based Mountaineers in an extended nap and put them away quickly.

The chief perpetrator was point guard Marsalis Basey, who went 9-for-10 from the field (four of four from three-point range) for a game-high 23 points and had eight assists, five rebounds and three steals.

Ricky Robinson and Mike Boyd both exceeded 1,000 career points and Pervires Greene contributed 17 points and seven rebounds for West Virginia.

Inge had 15 second-half points to finish with 17 for Mount St. Mary's and McGuthrie, who did not reach double figures for the first time in his career at Florida State, added 16.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.