Virginia C. BiddleGirls' tennis championVirginia Carpenter...

December 21, 1993

Virginia C. Biddle

Girls' tennis champion

Virginia Carpenter Biddle, who won tennis championships in the 1920s, died Friday of heart failure at the home of her daughter in Havre de Grace.

She was 90 and had lived in Havre de Grace for five years.

She won national girls' doubles tennis championships in 1920 and 1921 and lost to Helen Wills Moody in the singles championship in 1921.

In 1924, she was a member of the United States field hockey team that toured the British Isles and France and in 1925 she won the Philadelphia badminton championship. She also golfed, and was a trap shooter and ice dancer.

She was a member of the Sunnybrook Golf Club and the Philadelphia Cricket Club.

She was a native of Chestnut Hill, Pa., and was educated there.

The former Virginia Carpenter was twice widowed. Her first husband, Alfred Reeves Hunter, died in 1962. Her second

husband, retired Army Brig. Gen. Nicholas Biddle, died in 1977.

She was a member of the Colonial Dames of America and the Acorn Club in Philadelphia.

Services were set for 2 p.m. today at St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Chestnut Hill.

She is survived by her daughter, Rosalie Hunter Thompson of Havre de Grace; a son, Alfred Reeves Hunter of Philadelphia; 11 grandchildren; and 11 great-grandchildren.

Monsignor J.F. Healy

Pastor in Linthicum

Monsignor Joseph F. Healy, retired pastor of St. Philip Neri Roman Catholic Church in Linthicum Heights, died Friday at St. Joseph Hospital.

Monsignor Healy, who was 86, lost consciousness after apparently choking at dinner Wednesday evening. He never regained consciousness.

In 1964, he became the first pastor of St. Philip Neri, developing the parish plant -- the church, school and rectory. The church was remarkable at the time for its conformity to post-Vatican II liturgy -- it was built with the altar facing the people. Before Vatican II, priests celebrated Mass with their backs to the congregation.

He retired as pastor in 1971, but he became auditor for the archdiocesan tribunal. He was the first representative of the tribunal to interview those seeking annulments until he retired again in 1979 and moved to Long Crandon, the retirement home for priests. Later, he moved to the adjacent Stella Maris Hospice.

Born in Richmond, Va., he came to Baltimore as a child with his family. He was educated at St. Cecilia's School and Calvert Hall College.

He left Calvert Hall after two years and studied for four years at St. Charles College, a minor seminary. He then attended Loyola College, graduating in 1929.

He worked as a salesman for Swift & Co. for 10 years before resuming his studies for the priesthood at Mount St. Mary's Seminary in Emmitsburg. Later, he also studied at the Jesuit novitiate at Wernersville, Pa. He was ordained on June 8, 1944.

Before becoming pastor at St. Philip Neri, he had been an associate pastor at St. Martin's in Baltimore, at St. Matthew's, also a new parish when he was assigned there, and at St. Dominic's, all in Baltimore.

In 1982, he was made a prelate of honor with the title of monsignor.

A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 10:30 a.m. today in the chapel at Stella Maris Hospice, 2300 Dulaney Valley Road, Towson.

His brother, Monsignor Austin L. Healy, died Feb. 12 .

Survivors include three sisters, Mary Frances Burke and Louise Healy, both of Baltimore, and Catherine Brown of Bel Air. Raymond N. Chell Sr., a retired electronics and communications expert, died Saturday of cancer at his Tydings On The Bay home near Sandy Point. He was 72.

He was service manager for Gravely Tractors in Annapolis from 1970 until his retirement in 1983. Before starting there, he had worked from 1959 to 1968 as a project manager for Motorola Communications, based in Reston, Va.

Earlier, he was a part owner of Chell & Moran, a communications and appliance firm founded in 1950 by him and his brother-in-law, Robert F. Moran. The firm, based on Edmondson Avenue, operated a two-way-radio service for clients and sold radios, television sets and other appliances. Mr. Chell left the business in 1959.

The Mansfield, Pa., native moved to Ellicott City with his family in the 1930s and was a 1939 graduate of Howard High School. He worked as an engineer for WITH-Radio, beginning in 1940.

He enlisted in the Navy in 1943 and during World War II was a radio technician aboard the USS St. Paul, a heavy cruiser. He graduated from the Bliss Electrical School and the Naval Research Laboratory Radio Materiel School, both Navy training schools in 1945. After being discharged in 1946, he returned to the radio station, working there until 1950.

Known as "Bud," he was a Catonsville resident until 1968 when he moved to Tydings On The Bay. He was active in community affairs. Interested in shoreline restoration, he recently led a campaign there to have a Works Progress Administration-era revetment sea wall restored.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.