Woman, 85, unharmed by stove fire

December 17, 1993|By Bill Talbott | Bill Talbott,Staff Writer

A fire, apparently started when an 85-year-old Silver Run woman opened the damper of her wood cook stove too much, was confined to the chimney of the two-story frame house yesterday.

"I put some wood in the cook stove and opened the damper to get it hot and walked away for a little while," said Beryl Hahn of the 3900 block of Littlestown Pike. "When I came back to the kitchen I could see the flames around the stove pipe."

"I went to the second floor and took the metal cap off the chimney and poured some water down the pipe, but it didn't put it out. It was already ahead of me up the chimney."

Firefighters from Pleasant Valley, Westminster and Littlestown, Pa., who responded to the 4:48 p.m. blaze, were extinguished the fire after disconnecting the stove pipe in the kitchen and using a stiff wire brush to clean the soot and creosote from the chimney.

Pleasant Valley deputy chief Bill Wantz said there was no extension of the blaze inside the house, where Mrs. Hahn said she has lived for more than 35 years.

Firefighters remained at the fire for about 75 minutes.

No one was injured.

Fire-police directed rush-hour traffic at the scene using only the southbound lane of Route 97.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.