John F. DirzuweitBuilding inspectorJohn F. Dirzuweit, who...

December 17, 1993

John F. Dirzuweit

Building inspector

John F. Dirzuweit, who was an elevator and building inspector for Baltimore County, died Monday of pneumonia at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center.

He was 87 and lived in Monkton. He retired for the last time in 1976 after working for the county since 1968.

His first retirement, as closure superintendent at the Crown Cork & Seal Co., was in 1964. He had begun working for the company as a machinist in 1935. From 1965 until 1968, he helped the Belsinger Sign Co. in Washington set up a maintenance firm.

Born in Baltimore, he studied drafting at the old Maryland Institute and earned an engineering degree at the Johns Hopkins University.

His wife, the former Helen Richardson, died in 1983.

Services were set for 10 a.m. today at the Towson Presbyterian Church, Chesapeake and Highland avenues.

He is survived by a son, John F. Dirzuweit Jr. of Monkton; a brother, Roland Dirzuweit of Perry Hall; and three grandchildren.

Margaret Mudge

Sales associate

Margaret Alvey Mudge, a retired secretary and sales associate, died Dec. 11 of respiratory and heart failure at the Blakehurst Life Care Community in Towson. She was 92.

She was a sales associate at the Wilmington Country Store in Ruxton where she had made her home since 1931. She joined the clothing store in 1961 and retired in 1982. Earlier, she had worked as a secretary for Dr. Edward Hanrahan, a Baltimore physician.

She began her secretarial career in New York in 1928 following the death in 1925 of her husband, Edwin N. Chapman Sr., who worked for the W.J. Chapman Coal Co., a family business. The couple married in 1924.

She returned to Baltimore in 1930 and in 1931 married E. Tileston Mudge II, who founded the Mudge Paper Co. He died in 1960.

She was born and reared in Hagerstown and attended schools there. She was a 1919 graduate of the Ashley Hall School in Charleston, S.C.

She was a member of the Hardy Garden Club and was a founding member of the Tuesday Luncheon Club. She was the oldest member of the L'Hirondelle Club, having joined in 1931. She was also a member of the Colonial Dames of America in Maryland and was a volunteer for many years at the Children's Aid Society.

A memorial service was set for 11 a.m. today at the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd, 1401 Carrollton Ave., Ruxton.

She is survived by a son, Edwin N. Chapman of Ruxton; three grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

Memorial donations may be made to the Church of the Good Shepherd.

Joseph H. Baker

Mechanical engineer

Joseph H. Baker, a retired mechanical engineer, died Dec. 12 of congestive heart failure at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center. The Elkridge Estates resident was 79.

He retired in 1980 after a 40-year career in sales and service with the Trane Co., an air conditioning and heating contractor in Timonium.

A native of Atlanta, he attended public schools and the Georgia Institute of Technology before moving to Baltimore to work for Trane.

During World War II, he served in the South Pacific with the Army Corps of Engineers. He was awarded the Bronze Star and was discharged a major in 1945

He lived for over 30 years in the Murray Hill section of Baltimore County before moving to Elkridge Estates. He was a member of the L'Hirondelle Club and the Engineering Society of Baltimore.

A memorial service was held Wednesday at the Episcopal Church of the Redeemer in Baltimore.

Mr. Baker is survived by his wife of 52 years, the former Madeleine Taylor of New York City; two sons, William R. Baker of Roland Park and Robert A. Baker of Baltimore; a daughter, Susan B. Andrews of Baltimore; a sister, Sara Mann of Atlanta; and five grandchildren.

Memorial donations may be made to the Church of the Redeemer Building Fund.

Louis H. Stein

Dry cleaner


Louis H. Stein, a retired owner of a dry cleaning establishment, died Monday of pneumonia at Montgomery General Hospital in Olney. The former Northwest Baltimore resident was 94.

He retired in 1979 from the Supreme Dry Cleaning Co., which he had established in 1922. Located on Pennsylvania Avenue, Supreme became the city's third oldest dry cleaning business.

Born in Manchester, England, Mr. Stein emigrated with his family to Baltimore in the early 1900s and his father opened a tailor shop on East Lexington Street. He attended city schools before going to work for his father.

He married the former Sadye Apatoff and they lived in Northwest Baltimore more than 70 years before moving to Home Crest House, a retirement community in Silver Spring, two years ago. On Dec. 11 they had celebrated their 72nd wedding anniversary.

Mr. Stein played sandlot baseball as a young man, and he enjoyed following the Orioles. Alfred Stein, his son, of Baltimore, said, "He was the most astute baseball fan that ever lived. He just loved baseball."

Services were Wednesday at Sol Levinson & Bros.

In addition to his wife and son, survivors include a daughter, Elsie Gittes of Olney; a sister, Evelyn Gusaeff of Florida; three grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

Louis J. Herlinger

Beth Steel retiree

Louis J. Herlinger, a retired general foreman at Bethlehem Steel Corp.'s Sparrows Point plant, died Monday of heart failure at the Ivy Hall Geriatric Center in Middle River.

He was 76 and lived on Beach Drive in Dundalk.

He started working for the steel company in the late 1930s in Bethlehem, Pa., where he was born. He was transferred to Sparrows Point in the early 1940s and retired about 15 years ago.

He was a member of the Sparrows Point Country Club and the Dundalk Council of the Knights of Columbus.

His wife of 42 years, the former Ann Burkhouse, died in 1991.

A Mass of Christian burial was offered yesterday at Our Lady of Hope Roman Catholic Church in Dundalk.

Mr. Herlinger is survived by a daughter, Marcia L. Herlinger of Dundalk; two sons, Robert B. Herlinger of Lancaster, Pa., and Allan L. Herlinger of Bel Air; and a grand- son.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.