Hammond rallies past South Carroll, 60-51

December 15, 1993|By Glenn P. Graham | Glenn P. Graham,Staff Writer

It took well over three quarters for someone to take control of last night's Hammond-South Carroll game in Winfield.

A 13-0 Hammond run late in the fourth overcame a 47-43 deficit, as the visiting Golden Bears came away with a 60-51 win over South Carroll.

South Carroll (1-2) took a 44-40 lead into the fourth, but missed its first five shots, continually turned the ball over and finished 1-for-11 in the final quarter.

Hammond didn't exactly take advantage of South Carroll's erratic play. It wasn't until Tom Salkeld hit a short jumper with 2:35 left that Hammond took a 49-47 lead. It was Salkeld's only points of the night.

After South Carroll's Jon Strebe missed a layup on the Cavaliers' next possession, Hammond's Devon Moutoute converted a three-point play to give the Golden Bears a 52-47 lead. They would never look back, as they opened the season on a winning note.

"It was our first game so we're pleased to come away with the win," said Hammond coach Jack Burke.

"We don't have as much game experience as South Carroll and it showed -- particularly in the first half. We had a nice fourth quarter and I think we may have wore them down a bit with our athleticism."

Time and again, South Carroll had chances to take control, but couldn't. It finished the night 19-for-36 from the free-throw line, and Hammond had a big edge on the boards, particularly on the offensive end.

"It was a horrendous performance," said South Carroll coach Jim Carnes. "We make our foul shots in the first half and we have a 15-point lead. We handled the pressure pretty well all game long until crunch time. We were throwing the ball all over the place. We panicked, it seemed we were stuck on 44 forever."

Irving Cromwell led Hammond with 21, and Charles Chapman and Moutoute had 12 and 11, respectively.

Strebe led the Cavaliers with 14.

Neither team could open more than a five-point lead in the first half, which ended 31-31. Hammond was most effective when it got inside, particularly in the first quarter led by Chapman's 10 points. South Carroll spent most of the half on the free-throw line, but could only hit 13 of 24 to keep things close.

After trailing most of the first quarter, Hammond opened the five-point lead midway through the second when Cromwell pulled up and hit a short jumper to give the Golden Bears a 27-22 lead.

South Carroll answered with a 9-0 run -- including back-to-back baskets from Strebe -- to regain the lead with 2:40 left before halftime.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.