Sidwell Friends shoots down Severn, 64-55

December 13, 1993|By Jeff Seidel | Jeff Seidel,Contributing Writer

Severn and Sidwell Friends were tied at 46 with just under seven minutes remaining when Jamal Wells missed a jumper for the Washington school. At that point, Wells had made only one of six shots.

He wouldn't miss again.

Wells made his final four shots -- including two three-pointers -- and scored 10 of his 12 points in the fourth quarter to help Sidwell Friends rally for a 64-55 victory over two-time defending-champion Severn in the championship game of the 20th annual Laker Invitational yesterday at Boys' Latin.

Gilman (4-2) defeated Tatnall (Del.), 73-38, in the consolation game. Chris McLamb led Gilman with 14 points, Greg Dobbyn had 12 and Jimmy Fields added 11. The Greyhounds jumped to a 21-6 first-quarter lead and went on to rout the Hornets (1-3).

Severn (5-2) trailed most of the way, but rallied to take the lead twice early in the fourth quarter, the largest margin being 51-48 on a three-pointer by James Carpenter with 5:41 left.

Wells then sparked Sidwell Friends (3-0). He hit one jumper just before Carpenter's shot and later added consecutive three-point shots that gave the Quakers the lead for good at 56-51 with 3:11 left. Wells later stretched the lead to 60-55 and sealed the victory with a high bank shot with 49 seconds left.

"Usually it takes me awhile to get heated up," said Wells. "At the beginning . . . I was cold. I shoot well in pressure situations."

Sidwell Friends coach George Leftwich said Wells' cold start did not worry him.

"He's a shooter, he's got the green light to go," said Leftwich. "He really stepped up for us."

Tournament Most Valuable Player Rodney Bell also stepped up for the Quakers, scoring 34 points -- 23 in the first half. Bell hit 11 of 12 from the field, but did not take a shot in the final 10:18.

The Admirals did not find much success shooting down the stretch. Severn made only four of 13 from the field in the fourth quarter. The Admirals missed 10 of their last 12 shots, scoring only two baskets in the final 5:41.

Sidwell Friends used a tough man-to-man and match-up zone to slow the Severn offense in the fourth quarter. Severn players often pulled up and took lower-percentage outside shots instead of taking it to the basket.

"In the fourth quarter and late [in the first quarter] we just did not function offensively," said Severn coach Wayne Fowler. "We did not run it where we wanted to run it. A lot of credit for that goes to Sidwell Friends."

Sidwell Friends often controlled play inside. Center Bryce Fort, shut out in the Quakers' semifinal victory over Gilman, responded yesterday with eight points and 15 rebounds as the Quakers held a 30-15 edge on the boards.

The front line of Fort and Justin Pavlovich made the going difficult, especially for John Vereen, who likes to drive. The 5-foot-9 junior had a tough time inside against the bigger Sidwell Friends players.

Severn did well at times on offense, especially Alhamisi Simms (18 points)and Vereen (12 points), but the Admirals couldn't keep it up.

The Admirals made four of their first six shots in the second half, slicing the Sidwell Friends lead to four, but then missed four straight as the Quakers opened a 46-35 lead with 2:18 left in the third quarter.

Carpenter then made two three-pointers to spark a 16-2 run that gave Severn the 51-48 lead. The rest of the game belonged to the Quakers, who scored 16 of the final 20 points.

"We made a nice run," said Fowler. "We're streaky team. We seem to streak in both directions."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.