Severn wins, eyes Laker three-peat

December 12, 1993|By Jeff Seidel | Jeff Seidel,Contributing Writer

Thirteen turned out to be a lucky number last night for Severn.

Severn blew open a close game by scoring the final 13 points of the first half and went on to defeat Tatnall, 80-56, in a semifinal at the 20th annual Laker Invitational at Boys' Latin.

A Severn victory in today's 2 p.m. tournament championship game against Sidwell Friends (D.C.) would make the Admirals the first team in tournament history to win three consecutive championships. Sidwell Friends used some key free-throw shooting to defeat Gilman, 71-64, in the other semifinal.

The Admirals jumped to an early 12-point lead, but Tatnall (Del.) sliced the lead to 29-24 on Jon Ohligher's three-point play with 3:29 left in the half. From there, it was all Severn (5-1).

The Admirals scored 19 of final 23 points in the half. Alhamisi Simms sparked the Admirals with eight of his game-high 23 points.

Severn's speed gave Tatnall fits throughout the game.

"We had the quickness," said Severn coach Wayne Fowler. "When our kids seemed to focus, they did well. [Tatnall] just kept coming back."

Severn also took advantage of a balanced attack. Five Admirals scored in double figures, accounting for 77 of the team's points.

John Vereen had 17, Jay Lonnie Booth pitched in with 14, James Carpenter 12 and Javaul Mack added 11. C. J. Jarmon led Tatnall (1-2) with 12 points.

Gilman also had a chance to make the finals, but Sidwell Friends' clutch free-throw shooting helped it advance instead.

The three big scorers for the Washington school, Justin Pavlovich (18 points), Rodney Bell (16 points) and Tijan Watt (12 points) made the key foul shots in the final quarter as the Quakers made 13 of 15, including seven of eight on the front end of one-and-ones.

Bell went 4-for-4 from the line, Watt was 4-for-5, and Pavlovich hit both of his shots. The Quakers made only two baskets in the final 5:20, but the foul shots made the difference.

The Quakers finished by making 17 of 23 free throws. They shot well from the field, as well, hitting 25 of 45, including seven of eight in the second quarter.

Gilman (3-2) struggled from the line. The Greyhounds had their chances, but made only four of seven free throws -- including missing three of five on the front end of one-and-ones.

"They made the free throws, and we didn't," said Gilman coach Tim Holley. "It was that simple."

Than'l Badder (24 points) and Fields (19 points) helped Gilman rally in the second half. The two combined for eight points as Gilman took a 49-44 lead midway through the third quarter.

The Greyhounds went cold after that, and Sidwell Friends took control in the fourth quarter.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.