Louis FoxArmy worker and veteranLouis Fox, a retired...

December 10, 1993

Louis Fox

Army worker and veteran

Louis Fox, a retired civilian administrative assistant for the U.S. Army, died Oct. 19 at the Cherrywood Manor Nursing Home in Reisterstown, where he had lived the previous six months. He was 85. The cause of death was not disclosed.

Mr. Fox retired in 1977 after a 31-year career with the Army, during which he was a civilian administrative supply technician assigned to the 342nd Army Security Agency and the 97th Army Reserve Command. He worked at Fort Meade, the Liberty Heights Avenue Reserve station and the Jecelin Army Reserve Center on Broening Highway.

Mr. Fox, who was born in Leeds, England, emigrated to Philadelphia with his family in 1913 and then to Baltimore. He received his education in city schools and began his business career in the 1920s as a salesman for the Bragger-Eisenberg department store, which was at Eutaw and Saratoga streets.

Drafted in 1942, he served in the Army as a clerk-typist with the 43rd Division and participated in the Guadalcanal, New Guinea, Northern Solomons and Luzon campaigns. He was discharged in 1945 with the rank of technician fourth grade and had been decorated with the Bronze Star.

A bachelor, he lived with his mother Anna Fox until her death in 1957. A longtime resident of the Pikesville area, Mr. Fox loved traveling to Wildwood, N.J., to visit relatives.

Alan I. Fox, a nephew who lives in Reisterstown, said, "He loved traveling by trains and airplanes" and "would spend hours watching planes and trains and even had a radio where he could tune in on the public service band to listen in on conversations between trains and planes and control towers.

"He loved to fly to the West Coast and visit Los Angeles and San Francisco," said Mr. Fox, "and getting on a bus or trolley and spend all day riding to distant parts of the city which he explored or walking miles and miles and talking to people he met along the way. He also enjoyed being in the studio audience of "The Tonight Show," which he did many times, both in L.A. and New York."

Mr. Fox played the saxophone, clarinet and flute in bands in the Baltimore area and was a member of the Musicians Association of Metropolitan Baltimore Local 40-543. He was also active in the Jewish War Veterans.

Services were held Oct. 20.

In addition to his nephew, he is survived by a niece, Edie Winegrad of Owings Mills.

Memorial contributions can be made to the Edith Rosen Strauss Organization, 8219 Marcie Drive, Pikesville 21208.

John A. Hitchcock Sr.

Cemetery manager

John Austen Hitchcock Sr., who managed cemeteries in Pikesville and Washington for 30 years, died Nov. 24 at his home in Severn of throat cancer. He was 70.

Mr. Hitchcock helped run the Druid Ridge Cemetery from 1951 to 1976, working as an assistant manager under his father, Jesse Hitchcock, until he became manager around 1967.

He managed the Rock Creek Cemetery in Washington from 1976 to 1981, when he retired.

Mr. Hitchcock, a Baltimore native and 1939 graduate of St. Paul's School for Boys, attended Washington College in Chestertown for two years before he was drafted in 1941 for service in World War II.

He was a sergeant stationed in the Caribbean with the Army Air Forces.

He returned to Washington College after his discharge in 1945 and earned a degree in liberal arts in 1948. After teaching history for two years at Kenwood High School in Essex, he joined his father at Druid Ridge.

Mr. Hitchcock enjoyed camping and playing the saxophone in several community bands in Baltimore and Columbia.

Services were held Dec. 2.

He is survived by three daughters, Joyce Mahoney of Salt Lake City, Emily Olson of Kodiak, Alaska, and Anne Engblom of Severna Park; and a son, John A. Hitchcock Jr. of Laurel.

Contributions may be made to Washington College's endowment fund, Chestertown 21620.

Charles S. Dell Sr.

Owned roofing company

Charles S. Dell Sr., retired owner of an industrial roofing and sheet metal company who was active in Chesapeake Bay and ocean yacht racing, died Nov. 28 of a respiratory illness at Ginger Cove, the Annapolis retirement community where he had lived for about four years.

He was 90 and had moved to Anne Arundel County in the early 1940s, living for many years at Dellwood on Saltworks Creek and then in Rugby Hall.

He retired in the late 1970s as owner of the Charles S. Dell Industrial Roofing and Sheet Metal Co., which he started in the early 1920s.

During World War II, the company performed sheet metal work on PT boats built at the Annapolis Yacht Yard.

He owned yachts that he raced on the Chesapeake and participated in Annapolis-to-Bermuda and Newport-to-Bermuda races.

He was a former president of the Chesapeake Bay Yacht Racing Association, commodore of the Annapolis Yacht Club and the Sailing Club of the Chesapeake, and a member of the Cruising Club of America, the Royal Ocean Yacht Racing Club, the Gibson Island Yacht Club and the New York Yacht Club.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.