AP sues radio broadcasting company

December 08, 1993

The Associated Press sued an Annapolis broadcasting company yesterday, alleging that the company owes the wire service $35,840 in membership fees.

The suit, filed in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court, claims that ,, Vision Broadcasting Co., the owners of radio stations WYRE-AM and WXZL-FM, Annapolis, signed a contract March 25, 1991, to pay the Associated Press $132.25 per week to receive the wire service's news reports for broadcast.

The 18-month contract called for successive five-year extension periods, unless either side terminated by giving six months' written notice, according to the suit.

The company ran up a bill of $6,877 and refused to pay the New York-based wire service, according to the suit.

The suit alleges that if the company had performed as promised under the contract, it would have paid $28,963.

The suit seeks $35,840 in damages -- an amount equal to the bill allegedly unpaid and the amount that would have been paid if the contract had been fulfilled.

B6 Company officials could not be reached last night.

Suspect arrested after armed robbery

A man who police suspect robbed a group of men at gunpoint in the 100 block of West St. early yesterday was arrested two blocks away a short while later.

City police arrested Curtis Arnez Wilkerson, 18, of the 1800 block of Whiton Court, Annapolis, and charged him with three counts of robbery with a deadly weapon, three counts of robbery and four counts of assault.

He is being held at the Anne Arundel County Detention Center in lieu of $75,000 bond.

Revinder Singh, a waiter at the Indian Palace on Main Street, told police that he and three companions were walking along the sidewalk near Tucker's Exxon when they were approached by two men.

One of the men was carrying a large black handgun and demanded money, Mr. Singh reported.

Three of the men handed over cash, and the robbers fled behind the service station.

A short while later, a patrolmen spotted and stopped a man on West Street carrying a large black handgun and a handful of cash.

Police said they recovered a BB pistol and $91 in Mr. Wilkerson's arrest.

Police also arrested Delvin Tanard Johnson, 24, of the 600 block of Greenbriar Lane, who identified himself as Mr. Wilkerson's cousin, on charges of interfering with Mr. Wilkerson's arrest.

K? Mr. Johnson was released on his promise to appear in court.

Woman struck, robbed by two men

A Galesville woman was punched in the face and her purse stolen Monday evening as she walked to her car in downtown Annapolis.

Carol Elizabeth Frazer, an exercise physiologist at Anne Arundel Medical Center, said she was walking to her car about 6:50 p.m. when two men came up and demanded her purse.

One of her assailants told her to "Give it up," and when she started screaming, punched her in the mouth.

The other man grabbed the purse from her hands.

Witnesses told police that the two men ran toward Franklin Street, where they got in a red vehicle and drove up Southgate Avenue toward West Street.

Ms. Frazer, 34, was cut on the lip but refused medical treatment at the time, police said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.