Drug convict being sought in shootings

December 07, 1993|By Michael James | Michael James,Staff Writer

A paroled drug dealer assigned to home detention is being sought in Saturday's execution-style shootings that left two men dead and another critically wounded at a Northwest Baltimore house, authorities said.

Kevin Derand Flight, 28, who had been put in home detention 10 days ago after he violated his parole by being arrested for selling drugs in New York City, is believed to be one of three or four men who tied the victims with duct tape before shooting them, police said.

Flight, an apprentice barber at a West North Avenue beauty salon, is charged in a warrant with two counts of first-degree murder, attempted murder and felony handgun violations.

After the 6:40 p.m. shootings, Flight returned to his home in the 3800 block of W. Garrison Ave., where his presence was verified by a home-detention monitoring system that tracks his electronic ankle bracelet, correctional officials said.

"According to the computer, he was home at 7:57 p.m. -- three minutes before the 8 p.m. check-in time," said Leonard A. Sipes, a spokesman for the state Division of Correction. But at 10 p.m., home detention officers detected via the ankle bracelet that he had illegally left his home. The monitoring system can detect if the bracelet is in a home, and if it isn't, an alert is sounded to home detention authorities.

After an unsuccessful search of the area around Flight's home, authorities obtained a warrant at 11:20 p.m. charging him with violating his home detention.

Police said they did not know if Flight had removed his ankle bracelet or if he is in the area.

Killed in the shootings were Keith Warren, 37, who lived in the apartment where the shooting occurred in the 3300 block of Powhatan Ave., and Terry Belin, 27, of the 4000 block of Bareva Road.

Also shot was a cousin of Mr. Belin's, Bruce Belin, 33, of the 900 block of Walbrook Ave. Despite being critically injured, Bruce Belin was able to crawl to a telephone and call police.

He was listed in critical condition last night at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

City homicide detectives are investigating the possibility that the shootings were tied to drugs, although there were none found in the home, said Agent Doug Price, a city police spokesman.

Bruce Belin told police there were three or four attackers and that Flight -- whom he knows -- was among them. He did not know the identity of the other men.

Investigators said Flight left his job at the barber shop about 6:30 p.m. on Saturday and is believed to have immediately traveled to the Powhatan Avenue apartment, about nine blocks away.

Flight had been on home detention since Nov. 24. He had been recommended by his parole agent for home detention, which requires inmates to remain at home except for special exceptions such as a job, Mr. Sipes said.

The agent made the recommendation after Flight was arrested July 22 in New York City on a drug possession charge.

That arrest violated the terms of his parole for a December 1990 conviction on charges of narcotics distribution and conspiracy to distribute narcotics, court records show. He was sentenced to four years and was paroled May 26 of this year.

The state Parole Commission approved the parole agent's request for home detention on Nov. 12, Mr. Sipes said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.