Deer makes memorable house call on doctor

December 05, 1993|By Mike Farabaugh | Mike Farabaugh,Staff Writer

The patient at the doctor's office in Havre de Grace Wednesday afternoon had no appointment and really didn't want to sit in the waiting room.

In fact, she shunned entering the front door of Dr. Louis Silverstein' office at 806 S. Union Ave. Instead she acted like a real animal, smashing through a side window at 2:30 p.m.

Nurse Barbara Schramm was on the telephone when she heard the shattering glass and dashed into the hallway.

"There she was, looking right at me," said Mrs. Schramm. "She seemed confused and just walked into one of our eight examining rooms." The new patient was a 100-pound doe.

"One of the other nurses pulled the examining room door shut and she stayed there for a little more than two hours until natural resources and town police took her away," said the nurse.

No one was injured and the deer received only scratches, said Barbara MacLeod, a spokeswoman for the Department of Natural Resources. "It sort of gives a new twist to 'treated and released,' " said Ms. MacLeod, noting that after being tranquilized and placed in a special crate, the doe was taken to Susquehanna State Park and released.

The deer had overturned everything in the examining room, breaking glass containers and damaging medical instruments, said Ms. Schramm.

Fortunately, a patient who was in the office at the time knew

whom to call for help after police were alerted. "We had several natural resources personnel nearby and they responded quickly," said Ms. MacLeod.

By 4:45 p.m. the doe had been taken away and the mess in the waiting room and examining room cleaned up. The window was repaired by 5 p.m. and the doctor's staff went home to tell family members that it had not been just another day at the office.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.