Richard Carlin, lawyer, owned park

December 04, 1993|By Fred Rasmussen | Fred Rasmussen,Staff Writer

Richard McC. Carlin, a lawyer and amusement park owner, died Oct. 11 of cardiac arrest at Union Memorial Hospital. He was 82.

The former resident of the Murray Hill section of Baltimore County had moved to Guilford in 1984.

He retired in 1986 from the law firm of Carlin & Duvall. He began his legal career with the firm of Karr & Colgan. After serving in the Army Counter Intelligence Corps during World War II, he returned to Baltimore where he was an assistant city solicitor for four years before he returned to private practice.

He was reared in Guilford, the son of Elizabeth McCormick and John Jacob Carlin, who founded Carlin's Park in 1919. Once known as Liberty Heights Park, the popular Park Circle amusement park closed in 1955.

He was a 1928 graduate of Loyola High School and received his bachelor's degree from Loyola College in 1932. He was a 1935 graduate of the University of Maryland law school.

The family operated another amusement park in Buckeye Lake, Ohio. In 1956, he and his brother, John J. Carlin Jr., purchased a used hydrofoil from the Navy and had it dismantled and shipped to the Ohio park.

The brothers named it the Magic Carpet because once it attained its maximum speed of 45 knots, "It gives the passenger the impression he is riding more on air than the water," Mr. Carlin said in a newspaper interview at the time. "I expect that she'll be unique."

He was a member of the American Bar Association and a charter member of the Trial Table Law Club. He was also a member of the Baltimore Country Club, the Johns Hopkins Club, the Downtown Kiwanis Club, the German H. Emory Post of the American Legion and Tequesta Country Club.

He maintained a home in Jonathan's Landing, Fla., where he was a member of the Elks Lodge in Jupiter.

A Memorial Mass was to be offered at 10 a.m. today n the Lady Chapel of the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen, 5300 N. Charles St., Baltimore.

In addition to his brother of Buckeye Lake, survivors include his wife, the former Elizabeth O'Dwyer, a former buyer for the Stewart & Co. department store whom he married in 1949; a daughter, Elizabeth C. Hopkins and a grandson, Stephen D. Hopkins Jr., both of Tampa, Fla.; and a sister, Eleanor C. Beers of Baltimore.

Memorial donations may be made to the Cathedral Preservation Fund, 5300 N. Charles St., Baltimore 21210.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.