Man guilty in death of infant girl

December 03, 1993|By Robert A. Erlandson | Robert A. Erlandson,Staff Writer

A Baltimore County Circuit Court jury yesterday convicted Dorian J. Wise Jr., 20, of second-degree murder, involuntary manslaughter and child abuse in the death of 7-month-old child he threw against a wall.

Myesha Shakia Wilson, whose skull was fractured in two places, died of massive head injuries. Wise was baby-sitting with the infant at her mother's home on Solar Circle in Hillendale when the murder occurred last May 26.

The jury of seven men and five women deliberated more than four hours. After hearing the verdict, Wise asked for an immediate sentencing. However, Judge Christian M. Kahl said he wanted to reflect on the case overnight. Wise is scheduled to be sentenced at 3 p.m. today. He could receive up to 50 years in prison.

Myesha was the daughter of L'tosha Wilson, Wise's girlfriend.

The jury was not told during the two-day trial that the autopsy revealed that Myesha had been a severely battered child who had healing fractures of most of the major bones of her body.

Judge Kahl withheld the information because there was no evidence linking Wise to those injuries. Prosecutor Scott Shellenberger mentioned those injuries during a post-verdict discussion of the possible sentence.

Mr. Shellenberger handed Judge Kahl a large color photograph of Myesha and her sister taken a month before the baby's death and said, "You can't ignore this . . . this is the life he took away."

Mr. Shellenberger said that he has seen no sign of remorse from Wise and added, "I don't think for a second that it wasn't an intentional act."

Wise first gave police several versions of how Myesha was injured "accidentally" in a fall in the house, before admitting that he had thrown her against a wall, according to police testimony.

Jennifer Aist, Wise's public defender, called no defense witnesses. In her final argument, she said that Wise had panicked after injuring Myesha in an accidental fall and then slammed the baby against the wall in frustration at his inability to revive her, thinking she was already dead.

Wise declined to testify yesterday and did not address the court after the verdict.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.