Dr. Clement BrownSSA officialDr. Clement R. Brown...

December 02, 1993

Dr. Clement Brown

SSA official

Dr. Clement R. Brown, associate chief medical director of the Social Security Administration's disability program since 1989, died Sunday after suffering a heart attack while running near his home on Bellona Avenue in the Pinehurst area.

Dr. Brown, who was 65, taught and maintained a private practice in internal and family medicine in the Chicago area before he came to the Baltimore area in 1989.

He taught at the University of Illinois from 1971 until 1984 and also held a series of posts as director of medical education at hospitals.

From 1959 until 1964, he worked at Miami Valley Hospital in Dayton, Ohio, and then from 1965 until 1971 at Chestnut Hill Hospital in Philadelphia.

From 1971 until 1974, he was on the staff at Mercy Hospital and Medical Center in Chicago.

In 1974, he became director of medical affairs for the American Hospital Association, a post he held until 1976.

From then until 1984, he was education director, director of a family health center and a consultant at the South Chicago Community Hospital.

Among his published professional papers was a manual for community hospital continuing education programs.

At his death, he and a daughter were writing a book on health care that urges a partnership approach including the patient.

He once told a Chicago interviewer, "I want people to take more responsibility for their health, and they can."

He also wrote a column on health that appeared about once a month in the Daily Calumet in Chicago.

From 1984 until 1989, he had a private practice in South Holland, Ill.

He had been active as a runner for 20 years. After a triple-bypass operation in 1981, he was featured on CBS Sports coverage of the 1984 Chicago Marathon.

He continued to run in other marathons and half-marathons, often accompanied by sons or daughters.

A native of Washington, D.C., who was a graduate of St. Anthony's High School, Catholic University in 1949 and the Georgetown University Medical School in 1953, he did his internship and residency at Providence Hospital there. He also served medical residencies at the District of Columbia General Hospital and at a hospital in Sayre, Pa.

He served in the Air Force from 1954 until 1956. As an American Heart Association Fellow, he did research in medical education at the University of Illinois in 1964 and 1965.

A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 10 a.m. today at the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen, 5200 N. Charles St.

He is survived by his wife, the former Jean McDonough; two sons, Clement R. Brown III of Winfield, Ill., and John J. Brown of Park Ridge, Ill.; five daughters, Anne B. Saye of Hampton, Va., Kathleen A. Brown of Washington, Maureen B. Parton of Mill Valley, Calif., Jeannie B. Richey of Arlington, Va., and Elizabeth B. Lizzo of Park Ridge, Ill.; three brothers, Paul B. Brown of Toms River, N.J., James Brown of Finksburg and Michael Brown of Columbia; and six grandchildren. Retired Army Col. Homer S. Piper, who was active in church and community affairs in Odenton, died Monday of heart disease at the Augsburg Lutheran Home.

Colonel Piper, who was 85 and had lived in Millersville for many years, was chief of manpower on the 2nd Army staff when he retired in 1962. He worked at Fort Meade as a civilian incentive awards administrator from 1963 until 1975.

An officer in the Army Reserve since 1931, he was called to active duty in 1940 and after his graduation from Infantry School at Fort Benning, Ga., started a basic training program at Camp Wheeler, Ga., and then was sent to South America.

He built airfields in Suriname and in French Guiana, where he became commanding officer of U.S. forces.

After a number of other assignments, he went to Fort Meade to serve on the 2nd Army staff. He was sent to Korea from 1956 to 1958 -- a period during which he also taught a Bible class for Koreans in Seoul.

After returned to Fort Meade in Odenton, he became president of the First Evangelical Lutheran Church and oversaw the construction of its present church building.

He sang bass in the church choir and later in the Augsburg Home choir and had also been a member of the boards of Lutheran Hospital and the Lutheran Mission Society..

He also became active in the Washington Chapter of the Muscular Dystrophy Association and started a local fund-raising telethon.

In 1984, he also served as a member of the Electoral College that officially elected Ronald Reagan to a second term.

He was a longtime member and recipient of the Minute Man Award of the Reserve Officers Association, and belonged to the Military Order of the World Wars.

Born in Santa Fe, N.M., the colonel was reared in Cleveland, where he was cadet commander of a high school ROTC program. Though he received a presidential appointment to the U.S. Military Academy, his parents refused to sign the papers required because he was under age.

In 1962, he completed the requirements for a bachelor's of science at the University of Maryland.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.