Mark M. EigenbergSurvived Nazi campMark M. Eigenberg...

November 30, 1993

Mark M. Eigenberg

Survived Nazi camp

Mark M. Eigenberg, retired owner of an automobile radiator and air-conditioning firm, died Sunday of congestive heart failure at his home on Velvet Hill Drive in Owings Mills.

He was 65 and retired two years ago after 18 years as owner of Mike's Auto Radiator and Air Conditioning, Inc. Earlier, he had been a partner for 17 years in D&M Radiator.

A native of Austria who had been imprisoned in a Nazi concentration camp, he came to the United States in 1951.

He served in the Army during the Korean War and was a member of the Jewish War Veterans.

Services were set for 1 p.m. today at Sol Levinson & Bros., 6010 Reisterstown Road, Baltimore.

Mr. Eigenberg is survived by his wife of 35 years, the former Doris Goldman; a son, Howard B. Eigenberg of Owings Mills; a daughter, Judi Komins of Mount Washington; a sister, Rose Blitz of Pikesville; and two grandchildren.

Memorial donations may be made to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, D.C.

Vincent D. Bennett

Advertising manager

Vincent DePaul Bennett, retired display real estate advertising manager for The Baltimore Sun, died Saturday of heart disease at Mercy Medical Center. He was 74.

The Pasadena resident retired 10 years ago. He joined the company, which publishes The Sun and The Evening Sun, as an advertising salesman in 1946.

Born in Baltimore, he was a 1938 graduate of Mount St. Joseph High School.

He served in the Army Signal Corps in Italy during World War II.

A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 11 a.m. today at St. Jane Frances de Chantal Roman Catholic Church, 8499 Virginia Ave. in Riviera Beach.

His wife, the former Mary Angela Gannon, died in 1987.

He is survived by three daughters, Mary Finecey of Ocean City and Kathleen A. Garrigan and Joan M. Seitz, both of Pasadena; three sons, James G. Bennett of Bishopville and Joseph K. and Vincent D. Bennett Jr., both of Pasadena; a brother, Edward Bennett of Baltimore; and 11 grandchildren.

Mary D. Straughn

Halethorpe resident

Mary D. Straughn, who lived in Halethorpe for many years, died Friday of heart failure at the Augsburg Lutheran Home, where she had lived since 1980. She was 89.

She had been a member of Halethorpe United Methodist Church and did volunteer work at the Wesley Home.

The former Mary D. Chaplain was a native of the Easton area, where she was reared on a farm.

She and her husband, Frederick N. Straughn, Sr., moved to Halethorpe in 1937. Mr. Straughn died in 1957.

Services were set for 10 a.m. today at the Hubbard Funeral Home, 4107 Wilkens Ave.

She is survived by a daughter, Doris Baker of Arbutus; a son, Frederick N. Straughn Jr. of Stirling, N.J.; a brother, James Chaplain of Easton; seven grandchildren; 13 great-grandchildren; and four great-great-grandchildren.

Judith A. Mefford

Clerical worker

Judith A. Mefford, who did clerical work for the business firm of Peterson, Howell and Heather for 20 years before retiring and moving to Florida in 1979, died Saturday of complications of diabetes at a hospital in Kingsport, Tenn.

She was 50 and lived in Piney Flats, Tenn., where she moved earlier this year.

The former Judith A. Helmick was born in Gormania, W.Va., and moved to Baltimore with her family at the age of 13.

She was a graduate of Southern High School. She also appeared on television in Baltimore, singing on the Collegians, a talent show for youths.

Services were set for 2 p.m. today at the Ramsey Freewill Baptist Church in Norton, Va.

Survivors include her husband, Claude Delano Mefford; a son, Clyde Delano Mefford Jr. of Owings Mills; her mother and stepfather, Maria Vera Principio and Joseph Principio, both of Baltimore; and three sisters, Diana Rathell, Kim Everett and Chris Zornak, all of Baltimore.

Virginia Lee Mericle

Worked for Bendix

Virginia Lee Mericle, a former Baltimore resident who worked for Bendix Aviation Corp. during World War II, died Friday at Northampton-Accomack Memorial Hospital in Nassawadox, Va., after a stroke. She was 72.

She had lived in Onancock, Va., on a tidal inlet of the Chesapeake Bay for the last 15 years.

The former Virginia Lee Cruse was born in Lancaster, Pa., and spent her childhood in Lancaster, Washington and New York City. In 1942, she moved to Baltimore and worked for Bendix as a laboratory technician, testing radio crystals. She and her husband, M. William Mericle, a metallurgist who also worked for Bendix, lived in Mount Washington.

In 1956, they moved to Peoria, Ill., where they lived for 25 years before relocating to Virginia's Eastern Shore.

She and her husband celebrated their 50th anniversary last year on a cruise to the Virgin Islands.

In addition to her husband, she is survived by a sister, Mary Louise Martin of Washington, N.C.; two daughters, Suzanne Lee Mericle of Onancock, Va., and Sally Diane Mericle of Baltimore; and a grandson, Benjamin Andrew Bor of Baltimore.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.