Mose AlsupRetired barberMose Alsup, a retired barber, died...

November 26, 1993

Mose Alsup

Retired barber

Mose Alsup, a retired barber, died Tuesday of cancer at his home in the De Paul House Apartments in Southwest Baltimore. He was 84 and had lived for many years in Linthicum.

He retired about eight years ago from Ferguson's Barbershop in Arbutus, where he had worked for about 40 years.

Known as Al, he became a partner in another Arbutus shop, Joe & Al's, in the late 1960s. He returned to Ferguson's in the early 1970s.

Born in Pennington Gap, Va., Mr. Alsup joined the Army in the 1930s and was a member of a service swimming team while stationed in Hawaii before the outbreak of World War II. During the war, he served in a field artillery unit that saw combat in the Battle of the Bulge and elsewhere in Europe.

He moved to Baltimore after the war.

He was a member of the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

His wife, the former Ruby Krueger, died in 1985.

Services were set for 12:30 p.m. today at the Hubbard Funeral Home, 4107 Wilkens Ave. near the Baltimore city line.

Mr. Alsup is survived by a daughter, Barbara J. Strucko of Pasadena; a sister, Martha Lewis of Pennington Gap; and a grandson.

Anastasia N. Girod

Shoe store clerk

Anastasia N. Girod, a clerk at a shoe store, died Tuesday of cancer at her home in Lutherville. She was 61.

She had worked for the past four years at a Hess Shoes store in Towson. Mrs. Girod had earlier worked as an accounting clerk for Bud's National Permit Service in the trucking industry, and as a secretary in the offices of Slagle & Slagle, a homeowners' service, and the Chilean Embassy in New York.

She also was an actress who appeared in productions of the Vagabond Theater and in community theater groups in the New York area.

The former Anastasia N. Donleavy was born in New Haven, Conn., and was a 1954 graduate of Chestnut Hill College near Philadelphia.

She moved to Lutherville in 1963 after her marriage to Dennis Girod, which ended in divorce in 1978.

A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 11:30 a.m. today at the Roman Catholic Church of the Immaculate Conception, Baltimore and Ware avenues in Towson.

She is survived by two daughters, Michele Girod of Towson and Lisa Wulff of Lutherville; two sisters, MaryAlyce Brown of Thomaston, Maine, and Elizabeth Holmes of Aiken, S.C.; and two grandchildren.


John L. Porter

Camden Station clerk

John L. Porter, a retired senior clerk in the Mail, Express and Baggage Department at Camden Station, died Tuesday at the Meridian Nursing Center-Cromwell of circulatory disease.

He was 94 and had lived in Anneslie for many years. He retired in 1962 after 45 years with the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.

Services were set for 11 a.m. today at the Hartley Miller Funeral Home, 7527 Harford Road in Baltimore.

Mr. Porter is survived by a niece, Carol L. Porter, and a nephew, Charles A. Porter, both of Parkville.

Willie W. Sullivan

Retired steelworker

Willie W. Sullivan, a retired steelworker, died Saturday at Maryland General Hospital after an apparent heart attack. He was 79 and lived on Madison Avenue.

Services were set for noon today at March Funeral Home, 1101 E. North Ave., Baltimore.

Mr. Sullivan is survived by a daughter, Betty Jean Brown of Philadelphia; three brothers, Eddie L. of Washington, Tully J. of Capital Heights and Clifford D. of Cleveland; two sisters, Amanda Rudd of Chicago and Hattye Madden of Cleveland; five grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.

James J. D'Angelo

Business owner

James J. D'Angelo, owner of a firm of electronics manufacturers representatives, died Monday of cancer at his home on Treeway Court in Towson.

Mr. D'Angelo, who was 75, was the owner of S. K. MacDonald Inc., with headquarters in this area.

He joined the business after World War II, when it was known as Samuel K. MacDonald Inc. and had its headquarters in Philadelphia. First a salesman in the Baltimore regional office, he became manager in 1970 and bought the company in 1986.

He changed the name, moved the headquarters here and opened offices in Richmond, Va., and Pittsburgh while retaining an office in Philadelphia.

He was a member of the Manufacturers Agents National Association, the National Sound and Communications Association and the Electronics Representatives Association.

Born in Baltimore, Mr. D'Angelo was a graduate of City College and attended Loyola College.

Drafted at the beginning of World War II, he served in the Army Signal Corps in the Pacific, where his hearing was damaged by a nearby explosion. Later he was a sergeant in the military police.

He was a member of the Parkville Post of the American Legion, the Disabled American Veterans and the American Association of Retired Persons.

A Mass of Christian burial for Mr. D'Angelo was to be offered at 10 a.m. today at Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Church, Ware and Baltimore avenues in Towson.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.