Severna Park runner-up again, 6-3

November 21, 1993|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,Contributing Writer

Don Gregg has described his Severna Park boys soccer team as one with "more cohesiveness" than in past years.

But together, they still couldn't give Gregg his first outright state championship last night at Old Mill.

The second-seeded Falcons of Anne Arundel County fell behind 3-0 early and eventually bowed to nationally ranked and top-seeded Winston Churchill, 6-3, in the Class 4A state final.

"This is the best team we ran into all year," said Gregg, whose Falcons are 0-6-1 in state finals, having shared the crown with Bowie in 1983.

"They're a solid team and we gave them two cheap goals right off the bat. We had some opportunities early and we didn't capitalize, but we didn't give up and I'm proud of them for that."

The Bulldogs of Montgomery County opened the scoring in the 11th minute when junior midfielder Jason Hutt scored an unassisted goal on a shot that went in and out of the hands of Severna Park goalkeeper Andy Sheehan (seven saves).

"There's no reason why I shouldn't have saved that shot," said Sheehan. "I just missed it."

The Falcons (13-3), whose last state-final appearance in 1989 ended in a 2-0 loss to Walt Whitman of Montgomery County, fell behind 2-0 with 25:42 remaining in the half following an unassisted goal by junior Michael Levy.

Churchill (16-0), which outshot the Falcons 10-2 in the first period, continued to stretch out the Severna Park defense in the waning minutes of the first half and took a three-goal lead with 3:26 remaining on Marcelo D'Amico's goal, assisted by Gehran King.

Severna Park narrowed the margin to two when junior striker Scott Neuberger scored with 57 seconds left in the first half, but that was as close as the Falcons would get.

The Bulldogs didn't waste any time adding to their lead in the second half.

Churchill senior Andy Palvin returned the lead to three on a feed from D'Amico and teammate Dan Katz made it 5-1 when he found the upper-right corner of the net on a 30-yard direct kick.

The Bulldogs closed out their side of the scoring on Glen Cesari's penalty kick with 15 minutes remaining.

Severna Park senior Matt Swift led a too-late rally by the Falcons as he scored two unassisted goals in the final six minutes.

"The score may have made the game look easy but we worked hard and Severna Park kept coming and coming and coming. There's no quit in that team," said Churchill coach Henry Danver.

"They got that one [goal] before halftime and that kind of changed things, but it might have been to our advantage because we came out fired up in the second half and got a couple of quick ones and it was all over."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.