Boy charged after high-speed chase

November 16, 1993|By Bill Talbott | Bill Talbott,Staff Writer

A 14-mile car chase at speeds up to 100 mph ended with the arrest of a 14-year-old West Middle School student on multiple assault and traffic charges early Saturday morning.

Police said the boy had taken his mother's 1988 Chevrolet Blazer without permission. During the chase, which went from the Westminster area to Sandymount, he attempted to ram police cars, police said.

He was taken to the Charles H. Hickey Jr. School in Baltimore County until a hearing before juvenile authorities.

State police said they received a call about a possibly intoxicated driver on Route 27 about a mile south of Westminster at 2:40 a.m. Saturday.

Tfc. Robert W. Cullison went to search for the driver and found a Blazer parked on the southbound shoulder of the road, facing north.

The trooper drove north into Westminster, looking without success for the driver, and started to return to the parked vehicle.

On the way, the trooper reported, he saw the Blazer northbound on Route 27, followed it and saw it cross the center line several times.

The Blazer turned left on West Main Street and right on John Street, where the officer turned on his emergency lights and sounded the siren to stop the car.

Trooper Cullison said in his report that the driver started to pull off the road onto the shoulder, then accelerated and drove through a construction site, sending several workers scrambling to avoid being hit.

The trooper said the car went through the stop sign at Englar Road and turned right on Route 140, where another officer positioned his cruiser in front of the vehicle and attempted a rolling roadblock.

However, the driver refused to stop and drove the Blazer through the 140 Village Shopping Center parking lot and south on Route 97, where speeds exceeded 100 mph, police said.

Officers said that each time police attempted to pass the driver and set up another rolling roadblock, he tried to run them off the road.

By the time the fleeing vehicle reached Route 97 and turned left on Route 32, four marked state police vehicles and one unmarked car were in pursuit.

After driving a short distance on Route 32, the Blazer turned left on Deer Park Road, left on Green Mill Road, left on Old Westminster Road and into a field in an attempt to outdistance police and reach Route 140, police said.

But the Blazer became stuck in the field and the driver attempted to flee on foot.

He was quickly caught by the pursuing troopers.

The boy's mother, who lives on Old Westminster Pike, told police she was not aware he had the vehicle and had not given him permission to take it.

Police charged the 14-year-old, whose name was not released because he is a juvenile, with assault with intent to avoid lawful apprehension, assault and unauthorized use of a motor vehicle.

Eleven more traffic charges, including fleeing and eluding, exceeding 100 mph in a 55-mph zone and negligent and reckless driving, were placed against the youth.

No one was injured in the pursuit, police said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.