Douglass runs City out of playoffs 3A football

November 14, 1993|By Jamison Hensley | Jamison Hensley,Contributing Writer

UPPER MARLBORO -- It wasn't a secret. City knew Douglass would run the ball in its wishbone offense, but still the Knights could not stop it.

Allowing 297 yards rushing, No. 2 City fell to host Douglass of Prince George's County, 30-18, in a 3A state quarterfinal game yesterday. The Knights (9-2), who had their 29-game winning streak snapped with a loss to Poly last week, were playing in their first state playoff game.

"We knew everything they were going to do," City coach George Petrides said. "They just beat us off the ball. They do only a couple of things, but they do them very well."

Douglass (10-1) extended its winning streak to 10 games and faces defending state champion Seneca Valley in the state semifinals.

The Fighting Eagles distributed the ball among running backs Jason Teixeira, Bernie Dougans, Davian Caffee and Man Soor Salahuddin, who averaged 4.8 yards per rush.

"The only team I could compare them to would be Gilman because they both just run the ball," Petrides said. "But I've never seen a better offensive line this year than this one."

Behind 22-18 with 2:51 left, City had to start a drive on its own 9-yard line. After two overthrown passes by Knights quarterback Teron Matthews against a seven-defensive-back alignment, Matthews pitched to Ricky Dangerfield, who was dropped for a three-yard loss.

On fourth-and-13, Matthews' pass sailed past two defenders but deflected off the shoulder pads of Kevin Griffin.

Three plays later Teixeira scored for Douglass from the 6 for a 30-18 lead.

Douglass opened the game with a 59-yard scoring drive in eight plays.

However, after the Fighting Eagles took that 6-0 lead, they would gain only 29 yards the rest of the half.

City caught a break when the snap sailed over the head of punter Salahuddin and the Knights took over at the Eagles' 26-yard line. Three plays later, running back Damian Beane broke to his left for a 15-yard touchdown to tie the game at 6.

Salahuddin jump-started the second half with a 50-yard kickoff return to City's 25-yard line. Accounting for 21 yards in the drive, Caffee scored on a 4-yard off-tackle run.

Douglass quarterback Terry Williams connected with Alvin Harper on a left slant for the two-point conversion for a 14-6 lead.

"Today, they were better than us," said defensive lineman Xzavier Logan.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.