Dulaney still a step behind Churchill 4A boys soccer

November 13, 1993|By John Harris III | John Harris III,Contributing Writer

Dulaney boys soccer coach Craig Laferty remembers telling Churchill coach Henry Danver that his team was just a step or two behind in a 1991 playoff loss.

Two years later, the Lions still haven't caught up. Dulaney was eliminated for the second time in three years in the Class 4A semifinals, 4-0, last night at Arundel High's Carroll Field.

The defending state champions dominated all evening long, outshooting Dulaney 22-2 and beating the Lions to the majority of loose balls.

"It wasn't for a lack of trying. I was very pleased with our effort, but there is no way you can coach speed, and Churchill has lots of it. They just out-athleted us all night," said Laferty, whose eighth-ranked team finished the season 10-3-1.

Churchill (15-0), winner of 31 straight and ranked fourth in the Washington area, used its short-passing game to perfection.

Goalie Alex Collier (eight saves) kept Dulaney in the game by making six first-half saves. His first big save came less than five minutes into the game when Gheran King nailed a header off of a cross from MarceloD'Amico. Collier dived to his left and gathered in what would have been a sure goal.

Nearly 15 minutes into the half, Collier received help from fullback Jon Leberknight, who kicked away an open net shot by John McClean.

The Lions' defense finally broke through two minutes later when Alex Guerreiro pounded in a rebound shot from a King header.

McClean put the Bulldogs up 2-0 three minutes into the second half, gathering in a loose ball 10 yards out and hammering a shot into the lower left corner.

Dulaney's best chance came midway through the second half from Matt Rich. Ben Weedon made a leaping save 10 yards in front of the goal.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.