Dunbar deals Overlea out, 22-10 Poets are first city school to win state playoff game 2A football

November 13, 1993|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,Staff Writer

No. 12 Dunbar made history last night at Dundalk Community College as the first Baltimore City school to play in -- and win -- a state football playoff game, 22-10, against No. 4 Overlea.

The Poets (9-2) next week face the winner of today's other 2A quarterfinal between fifth seed Southern, ranked No. 7 in the area, and fourth seed Potomac (both 9-1).

For the eighth-seeded Poets, in the first year of eligibility for city // public schools in the state playoffs, the story was defense against a Falcons squad (10-1) that averaged nearly 40 points in its eighth straight playoff appearance.

Safety Sean Lipscomb picked up his 11th interception and linebacker Tommy Polley his fifth, and Kim Kent his first for a team that has more than 30 pickoffs.

Dunbar's six sacks for minus-32 yards went to Carl Carter (two), Taurence Bishop (1 1/2 ), Shamal Butler, Dante Jones and Nate Brown (half sack).

"This was about proving a point," said Lipscomb, who scored the Poets' final touchdown on a 30-yard reception with 11:11 left.

"Our defense had only allowed two teams to score in double figures, and we showed why tonight."

This against an offense led by Baltimore County's top rusher, Kenyon Crawford (1,212 yards, 17 touchdowns), and quarterback Bernard Fitchette, who had passed for 903 yards and seven touchdowns and rushed for 586 yards with seven touchdowns.

Crawford rushed 16 times for 80 yards, but was scoreless.

"There was some pressure tonight, but I think it's off now," said Dunbar first-year coach Stanley Mitchell.

Dunbar trailed, 2-0, after Kent watched Bruce Pendles' first-quarter snap roll into the end zone at 3:56 of the period.

But Overlea didn't score again until there was 1:14 left as Fitchette capped a nine-play, 83-yard drive with his 7-yard strike to Shawnte Dukes, and ran in the conversion.

"We knew everything about them, but we just couldn't perform," said Crawford.

"We played as hard as we could," added teammate Igwe Blount. "They just outplayed us."

Overlea faced fourth-and-17 in the second period at its 34 when Gary Hinton blocked Francel Smith's punt. Dwayne Green, a 6-2, 220-pound defensive tackle, scooped the ball and ran it to the Falcons' 6.

A play later, quarterback Rodney Elliott found Polley in the left of the end zone and followed it with a conversion pass to Lipscomb.

It was 16-2 after Johnny Sawyer's 53-yard run (his 15th touchdown of the season) with 3:03 left in the third quarter, followed by Kent's conversion pass to Elliott.

For the game, Overlea had 227 total yards, with Fitchette and Dukes combining to go 9-for-16 for 141 yards. Sawyer rushed for a game-high 88 yards on 11 carries, Kent for 58 on six carries.

"We knew they were fast, but we were a little bit faster," said Carter. "Beating the No. 1 seed, well, I guess that makes us pretty good."

The Poets struggled early, failing to capitalize on a huge opportunity in the second quarter.

Dunbar marched 83 yards in 12 plays after Brown's fumble recovery at its own 9. But on a fourth-and-one at Overlea's 8, Kent was stopped short by the Falcons' All-County lineman Mike Knoedler, who said before the game the Falcons would "leave [Dunbar] in the first round."

From there on, Knoedler (6-3, 260) had his hands full with 6-5, 325-pound Derrick Player as Dunbar controlled the line of scrimmage.

"The name of the game," said Player, "is not to say things in the newspaper that you can't back up."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.