Man held in Arundel slaying Restaurant owner killed in driveway

November 10, 1993|By Richard Irwin | Richard Irwin,Staff Writer

A 43-year-old West Baltimore man was arrested late last night and charged with shooting and killing an Anne Arundel County restaurant owner in the driveway of her Arnold home on Sept. 26.

Edward Wendell McLeod, 43, of the 1800 block of Division St. in the city's Upton neighborhood, was charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joanne Shuey Valentine, 47, of the 500 block of Broadwater Road. He also was charged with using a handgun in the commission of a felony.

The gun, police said, had been stolen in July, but was confiscated from the suspect when he was arrested in October on a shoplifting charge. Ballistics tests subsequently linked the gun to Mrs. Valentine's shooting, investigators said.

Police said at least one other suspect is being sought in the killing.

Mr. McLeod was being held at the Anne Arundel County Detention Center pending a bail hearing today.

Mrs. Valentine was shot about 4 a.m. Sept. 26 after closing the Rumblefish restaurant in the 7900 block of Baltimore-Annapolis Blvd. in Pasadena. She also owned A. L. Gators in the 8500 block of Fort Smallwood Road in Riviera Beach.

She was taken to Anne Arundel Medical Center and then to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where she died about 7 a.m.

Police said they recovered about $3,000 from her car, but whether robbery had been the motive for the attack was unclear. Only two hours before Mrs. Valentine was shot, officers broke up what they described as a violent fight in the parking lot of Rumblefish. At the time, police would not say whether the fight had any connection with her shooting.

The suspect was arrested last night without incident in the 500 block of McMechen St., about two blocks from his residence. Anne Arundel County police and members of the Baltimore police department's violent crime task force made the arrest, said Sgt. Paul R. Tabor, of the Anne Arundel County homicide squad.

Sergeant Tabor said the suspect made statements to investigators that implicated him in the crime.

The sergeant said the suspect also had been arrested on Oct. 1 on a charge of shoplifting a .38-caliber Taurus handgun from On Target, a sporting goods store on Route 175 in Jessup, in July.

The gun was found in the car's trunk, police said.

Mrs. Valentine's family offered a $10,000 reward for information that led to an arrest and conviction of her killer.

Mrs. Valentine's husband, Vincent N. Valentine, witnessed the shooting from a bedroom balcony near the garage, police said. She also was survived by two teen-age sons, who were asleep at the time of the shooting.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.