Curley ousts Gilman, 1-0 Friars dominate Greyhounds, but Pasko scores only goal Boys soccer

November 09, 1993|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,Contributing Writer

Bring on "The Hall."

That's what Archbishop Curley's boys soccer team and its supporters were chanting after the Friars' 1-0 win over Gilman in yesterday's Maryland Scholastic Association A Conference semifinal matchup.

"We want The Hall," said Curley goalkeeper Dennis Merryman, referring, of course, to Calvert Hall, which advanced to tomorrow's A Conference championship game at Essex Community College by virtue of a 1-0 win over Friends. "Bring 'em on because we're ready."

That was quite apparent in yesterday's game, with homestanding and higher-seeded Curley dominating Gilman in every area except the scoring column. The Friars outshot the visitors 15-3 and controlled the tempo from start to finish but couldn't add any insurance goals.

"It was closer than it needed to be, that's for sure," said Curley coach Tom Perrella, after watching his team record its seventh shutout of the season. "We created many opportunities; unfortunately, we hit the post twice and we hit one or two right at the keeper. I think we were a little overanxious. We were trying so hard instead of just relaxing and letting more of our natural soccer skills take over.

"The outcome was never in doubt as far as I was concerned because we were playing well defensively and they only had one or two chances that were even close."

The third-ranked Friars (15-0-1) scored the game's only goal in the 22nd minute when junior striker Steve Ball delivered an eye-level crossing pass to junior Shawn Pasko, who finished with a header into the right side of the net.

"We knew if we worked hard we would win because no one is going to beat us when we play our game," said Merryman, who only had to make three saves. "The defense played tough. We knew we had to play tough, and if everybody plays tough, no questions asked, we know we're going to win."

Curley's David Baynes had his hands and feet full in marking Gilman's leading scorer, Corey Popham (11 goals, nine assists), but the senior defenseman did the job, limiting Popham to a single shot on goal.

Curley, which had defeated the Greyhounds, 2-0, in its opener, had several chances to put the game away early, but shots by Mike Bailey and Giuliano Celenza caught the pipe and another shot by Bailey was turned away on a diving save by Gilman goalkeeper Jake Beverage (14 saves).

"The trademark of our team is that we play hard and we give everybody a game for 80 minutes and our kids played their hearts out today," said Gilman coach John Tucker, whose team finished the season with a 9-6-2 record. "It's not that Curley wanted it any more than it's just that they are a very skilled team and they have a little more big-game experience than us. This was our first time in the semifinals and it was a great experience for our kids."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.