Man accused of assaulting his girlfriend

November 07, 1993|By Bill Talbott | Bill Talbott,Staff Writer

A 29-year-old Hampstead man, who allegedly kept his girlfriend a prisoner in her own house and prevented her from keeping parole appointments, was arrested and charged with two counts of assault Thursday night.

Michael Leroy Hauck was later released on $1,000 bond after a bail hearing before a court commissioner.

Mr. Hauck man was arrested after Gabriele M. Weeks, 36, of Mount Airy, told Judge Raymond E. Beck Sr. in a court hearing Thursday that she could not keep her appointments with her parole officer or find a job as she was required because her boyfriend kept her a virtual captive.

At one point, he pulled her telephone cord out of the wall, she said.

The criminal charges filed against him stem from alleged assaults on her in July and October. In the alleged July assault, she was shoved down a flight of steps, injuring her back and arm, Ms. Weeks told the court.

"He threatened to put a hit out on me if I pressed charges against him for assaulting me in July and October," Ms. Weeks said in court papers.

Ms. Weeks, who is serving five years' probation for a 1991 theft conviction, was called to appear before Judge Beck Thursday because she had not reported to her parole officer since June 1992 and had not been regularly employed since November 1991, although that was a requirement of her probation.

Her defense attorney, Assistant Public Defender Judson K. Larrimore, told Judge Beck that the woman was held prisoner during the time the two were together, and that the man had been stalking her since they broke up.

Mr. Larrimore said Ms. Weeks acknowledges that she needs treatment for alcohol abuse, and that she is on a waiting list to enter a program at Shoemaker House.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.