Nestor saves No. 5 Hammond, 2-1 Girls soccer

November 06, 1993|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,Staff Writer

For the second straight game, Hammond keeper Amy Nestor was the hero.

Yesterday, the senior came out against Wilde Lake's Lindsay Waxler to make a great one-on-one diving save. That stop, midway through the second half, preserved a 1-0 Hammond lead, and the No. 5 Golden Bears (11-3) went on to a 2-1 victory in the Class 1A-2A South regional championship.

Nestor, also a starter on the Bears team that last won a state title in 1991, finished yesterday's game with 12 saves. Eight came in a first half dominated by the No. 12 Wildecats (10-3-1).

"As far as I'm concerned, she's the player of the game," said Hammond coach Dave Guetler. "Amy has risen to the occasion this year -- in the last two games, no question. Today, she swatted that ball away or it was definitely in the net. What a fantastic save."

In Tuesday's semifinal, Nestor saved a first-half penalty kick with the fourth-seeded Bears trailing 1-0 against top seed Oakland Mills. The

play turned that game around and Hammond went on to a 3-1 victory.

In addition to Nestor's stellar performance, the Bears used a bit of luck to beat the Howard County champion Wildecats for the second time this season.

For host Wilde Lake, the heart-breaker came with just seven minutes left in the game. Hammond pulled ahead 2-0 on Ashley Decker's direct kick from about 35 yards out following a tripping call. Wildecats' keeper Leah Angle (five saves), apparently believing the kick was indirect, never moved as the ball sailed into the net uncontested.

"I don't know what happened on that," said Wildecats coach Rick Wilson.

Hammond took the lead in the first half after Kisha Jett came off the bench to punch in a high crossing pass from Kacy Williams. Jett, nursing an ankle injury, played only about 17 minutes of the game, but that was enough for Williams to make the connection in the 11th minute.

Soon after the goal, Williams retreated to sweeper, a strategy Hammond has used all season when the Bears get an early lead. The Bears played tremendous defense against a barrage of 14 Wilde Lake shots to hold the Wildecats scoreless in the first half.

One of the Wildecats' best chances to score came on a series of three shots after a corner kick in the 22nd minute. Nestor leaped to bat away Waxler's arcing corner kick. Liz Bielefeld saved a shot off the rebound. On a quick follow shot, Bielefeld ducked and Nestor grabbed the ball.

"It was a moral victory for them to shut us out in the first half when we had the ball and we had the wind," said Wilson. "I had the feeling going in we were the better team. The county championship was ours and we had beaten everyone else to do it. We just can't get over that snakebite."

The Wildecats, who outshot Hammond 20-10, scored their only goal with five minutes left in the game. On the break, Angie Jefferson beat several defenders -- including Williams, who collided with a teammate -- to score.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.