Goalie Gursky saves Lions in semifinal, 1-0 Boys soccer

November 04, 1993|By Glenn P. Graham | Glenn P. Graham,Staff Writer

Throughout the second half, Liberty goalkeeper Josh Gursky kept the top-seeded Lions even against a relentless North Hagerstown attack.

And when the Lions took advantage of a rare offensive opportunity to go up 1-0 on Jason Dunbar's goal with just under 13 minutes remaining in regulation, there was a strong sense throughout the stadium that Gursky simply wasn't going to let anything get past him.

That was the case. Gursky frustrated the North Hagerstown attack and finished with 20 saves as the Lions advanced to the Class 2A, West Region final with a 1-0 victory in Eldersburg.

The Lions (11-0-2) will face second-seeded Middletown at Thomas Johnson High School on Saturday at 6 p.m.

Gursky simply dominated in goal and was the difference in a game in which fourth-seeded North Hagerstown outshot the Lions, 24-11.

"This just feels great. I don't know what else to say," Gursky said.

"The team didn't play all that bad and they were there 100 percent. I remember the Glenelg game [last year], but that wasn't as tough as this one. It's awesome."

Gursky did a great job of leaving his line when he needed to and of staying put at other times. North Hagerstown attacked at all angles, but couldn't get anything by the senior.

Dunbar then gave the Lions the lead with his 10th goal, heading a short ball from Kevin Henderson past North Hagerstown goalie Robb Ford.

Gursky's night wasn't through, however, as he preserved the lead with a number of great saves.

One of the biggest came with 8:40 remaining, when Mark Callahan slipped behind the Lions' defense and sent a rocket from 15 yards. Gursky had the angle covered and made the VTC save.

"Our goalkeeper saved us tonight. He came up huge," said Liberty coach Lee Kestler. "We showed character and heart and we always find a way. We just never quit."

In a scoreless first half that was mostly dominated by the visiting Hubs, it was the Lions who had the best chance four minutes into the game.

Senior forward Mike Sheehan was dragged down from behind by a North Hagerstown defender in the penalty box. The referee awarded a penalty kick, but the Lions couldn't convert when Ford dove to his left to turn back Travis Foote's shot.

While many of Liberty's passes were slightly off the mark in the half, North Hagerstown did a good job of creating a number of solid scoring opportunities -- particularly late -- but couldn't finish.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.